extra fuel tank in bed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
extra fuel tank in bed

who uses/used them? i think i want a 40-50gallon tank in the bed that gravity feeds my stock tank. i don't need it everyday but it would be nice on trips as alot of places we go don't have good fuel, plus prices vary. i do have an in the bed tool box so the tank would have to go behind it, i think this holds me back more than anything. i thought about an excursion tank where the spare is but then no spare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 07:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have an Excursion & its nice having 44 gallons but sucks when you fill it up
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have one in my 00, it's a aux tank. What your describing is a transfer tank. The main difference is how fuel gets out of the tank and into the engine. Transferflo makes a toolbox/tank combo. There are also L shaped tanks that are designed for a tool box to sit ontop of or you can find a slim one to fit in front of the toolbox.

I prefer the aux tank setup. It uses a 6 port valve to switch the feed and return lines between tanks. When the valve is switched, the fuel gauge also switches.

With a transfer tank, there are kits you can get with a check valve for gravity feed or even a pump that you turn on to fill the main tank.

Another option is replacing your existing tank, there are a few manufactuors that make tanks around 60 gallons but they are expensive.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer pyle View Post
who uses/used them? i think i want a 40-50gallon tank in the bed that gravity feeds my stock tank. i don't need it everyday but it would be nice on trips as alot of places we go don't have good fuel, plus prices vary. i do have an in the bed tool box so the tank would have to go behind it, i think this holds me back more than anything. i thought about an excursion tank where the spare is but then no spare
Id rather have a spare floating around in my bed that i can remove whenever than have an auxilary tank taking up room. But thats just me and i haul a lot of crap in my bed. I have 35's so my stock spare is useless so i just have a spare in my bed at all times. If i need the bed space i just take it out and put in the cab or leave at home if just going short distances.

I would either get a 60 gallon tank or ad the excursion tank.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM

I was thinking about having a "custom" tank built that would go under my bed box. I figured it out to be around 32 or 38 gallons of available space.
I just did a recent road trip and was not reeley pleased with the miles between fill ups.

Last edited by kinnisoj; 08-06-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

If you decide to go custom, KSH marine in Arizona is who made mine a few years ago. They were a little slow in getting the tank done but otherwise I am happy with it.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
If you decide to go custom, KSH marine in Arizona is who made mine a few years ago. They were a little slow in getting the tank done but otherwise I am happy with it.

how many gallons is that beast?

and this is the one i have been eyeballing, one of deezee's combo tanks
Combo Transfer Tank - Black Aluminum

if you already have a tool box they sell the L-shapped ones
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

155 gallons.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:22 AM

I run a 105g L tank... Its a transfer tank, but just remove the plug, add a valve and plumb it into your filler neck.

I use 1/4" fittings and hose, welded a bung into the filler neck.

I cant remember the last time I took the factory filler cap off. It gravity feeds into the main tank, and when the pressure equalizes it stops. Only time I ever turn the valve off is when both tanks are VERY full and its hot out. Then it can from time to time leak out the top of the tank.

I have had EVERY truck I have ever owned set up this way... 95, 96, 97, 99, and my 2001.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Tradesman 37-Gallon Liquid Storage Tank — Black | Auxiliary-Transfer Tanks| Northern Tool + Equipment
This is what i had in mind. They do not recommend to use it as a transfer tank but i can't find a transfer tank that stands up.

I never thought about pumping it straight in. I just assumed i would have to have a cut off valve and manually work it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.