4R100 Incident - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4R100 Incident

I'm usually pretty good about self-diagnosing little things here and there but am scratching my head on this one:

I'm out rotating tires and have all four corners up on jack stands. Easily rotated tires as usual, no issues. I figure while the truck is suspended, I'll have the wife come out and turn the steering wheel around while I check the front end and a few other things. I then tell her to put it in neutral and switch to 4High. She does and then eases off of the brake while I'm looking from the side at drivelines. I tell her to go ahead and ease onto the brake and put it into neutral, remove 4High and put it in park. She does all of this but the trans starts grinding when she puts it in park and she doesnt know what to do. I'm immediately able to throw it back in neutral in 3-5 seconds.

I thought it was something she did but I replicated it myself. Heres exactly what I did:

Place vehicle in Drive, let it get up to about 10mph, slowly press brake until I see all wheels are stopped, switch to Neutral while still pressing the brake and then immediately into Park while still pressing the brake.

When in Park, it clicked as if I was driving and slammed the trans into Park. Again, I immediately pulled it out of Park, into Neutral and then Park again a few seconds later (all while firmly keeping my foot into the brake). This is all while the vehicle is suspended on jacks.

What would cause the Parking mechanism to not engage?

Did I do any damage by letting it click/grind for a total of about 5 seconds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's not your trans making that grinding, its the transfer case. The little plastic/nylon tips on the 4wd fork inside are worn out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Behavior Modificationist

I was leaning towards it not being 4x4 related because I replicated it in 2wd (forgot to mention in OP) but then again I know little to nothing about the transfer case anatomy. Could this still be the case even in 2wd?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Its been a while ago but I had the exact same thing happen to me after installing a new trans. I believe the fix was the main plug that goes into the gear selector box on the driver side was not fully engaged. I unplugged then plugged it back in until I heard the clip snap. What's happening is you are manually moving parts inside but not sending signal to the coil pack to pull in/out the correct position.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Behavior Modificationist

I might have to get more in depth with you on the fix. Just went out cruising to set in the rotated tires and cant replicated the incident any which way again. Do you know of a reason why it would occur while all 4 tires are off the ground vs regular use?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgTires4295 View Post
I might have to get more in depth with you on the fix. Just went out cruising to set in the rotated tires and cant replicated the incident any which way again. Do you know of a reason why it would occur while all 4 tires are off the ground vs regular use?
Ya. That is a bit strange.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.