tuner chip vs programmer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tuner chip vs programmer

which is better and why and which one do yall use
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

a custom chip is always going to trump off the shelf programmers because the programmers are generic tunes that work on every truck. a custom chip from say Beans (NLTD), DP, Gearhead, Swamps, PHP, Tony wildman, is going to be tuned to your specific pcm code so its tuned for your specific engine. I would personally look into the PHP Hydra as you can load other tuners tunes on to it and to me it would be very convenient as certain tuners have better tunes in different areas, tuner A could have the best hot tune, and Tuner B could have the best tow or econo tune with the hydra you would have the luxury of having both tunes.

I personally think Beans (NLTD) and gearhead have the best tunes. thats just my opinion though. I wish i wouldve waited a little longer and i couldve gotten the hydra and would be able to have both of them.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

For a 7.3? A chip because there's no need for a programmer. Programmers are slow. Everything a programmer can do, a chip can do. Custom tunes can be written on both.

When I say programmer, btw, I mean something you have to shut off the truck, turn key on, and load new program, where as a chip can just let you turn a knob to a different tune, and be done.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:07 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the thing about programmers, usually you can find them for cheaper used than a chip.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM

What would be a safe, decent tuner for a high mileage truck? I have a 99 7.3 that has been stock for 288,000 miles. Except straight piped. Transmission seems healthy
Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
definitely a chip for a 7.3L
Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOhPowerstroke View Post
What would be a safe, decent tuner for a high mileage truck? I have a 99 7.3 that has been stock for 288,000 miles. Except straight piped. Transmission seems healthy
My tuck has over 246,000 miles and I just had a PHP Hydra installed about a month ago, it's a new truck!!! It's fun too drive again, you will be amazed at how under tuned the truck is. I have the 40,65hp tow tunes along with the 65,80hp daily drive, and the 80,100hp perfromance and then the 120hp race. I've been playing around with the different settings, the first tank of fuel was with the 80hp daily drive, and my fuel mileage increased just over a 1/2 mile too the gallon. Then this last tank was in the 100hp performance and my fuel mileage increase was just over 1 mile per gallon increase, so this tank I'm in the 65hp daily drive because this setting is where I plan on having the truck set in all the time. I'm not into beating on the truck, so I'm hopefully going too see a nice long life, and I'm still on the original injectors and everything, the only thing that has been changed is the transmission, and then replaced the tranny cooler with a 6.0L, everything else is stock. Oh a 4"exhaust and intake by Airiad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.