Turbo Vibrations. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Vibrations.

I have a '03 F350 dually 4X4 7.3, 192,000 miles, there is a vibration in the turbo between 2300 and 2500 rpm and the turbo boost gauge is bouncing all over the place.
Any help/suggestions as to what it could be is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Reel 007; 07-24-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am a bit desperate, would like to use the boat this weekend, but will not risk the tow with the noise/vibration and loss of power.

Anyone experienced this problem.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had what's referred to here as 'turbo surge' on my 2000 7.3. Only happened when pulling my fifth wheel up grades, usually in the 16-1800 rpm range. No vibration just a goofy sound from the turbo, sounded like air bouncing around the intake of the turbo. I've read where people have had this surge issue bad enough to bounce the boost needle, mine didn't. I solved my issue by having a different compressor wheel installed on the turbo. It was $89 and cost me $150 to have it installed. I think most folks refer to these compressor wheels as a wicked wheel. Others do ported housings to solve the surge issue but I live in California and can't install one due to smog checks.

Maybe someone here with more knowledge in this area will respond for you.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfullback View Post
I had what's referred to here as 'turbo surge' on my 2000 7.3. Only happened when pulling my fifth wheel up grades, usually in the 16-1800 rpm range. No vibration just a goofy sound from the turbo, sounded like air bouncing around the intake of the turbo. I've read where people have had this surge issue bad enough to bounce the boost needle, mine didn't. I solved my issue by having a different compressor wheel installed on the turbo. It was $89 and cost me $150 to have it installed. I think most folks refer to these compressor wheels as a wicked wheel. Others do ported housings to solve the surge issue but I live in California and can't install one due to smog checks.

Thanks.
I just ordered a Garrett GTP38R on line, hopefully that will solve the problem, I am having a bit more than a surge problem, I put the truck in low gear(Drive 2) and rev up to 2800 rpm and it only made ten pounds of boost, and if you try to keep it at that rpm the boost gauge will start going down.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:

The Garrett GTP38R is a ported shroud housing, I asked the salesperson twice if it met California smog and he said yes.
I am in the inland empire.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Looks like your upgrading your entire turbo, you'll be fine. Some folks install just a new ported intake, like an ATS, on their existing Garrett and that's what not pass the visual smog inspection. Hope that new turbo cures your issue.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Looks like your upgrading your entire turbo, you'll be fine. Some folks install just a new ported intake, like an ATS, on their existing Garrett and that's what not pass the visual smog inspection. Hope that new turbo cures your issue.
Thanks.
From the pictures I saw of the turbo I purchased the intake is a ported 4" between the air cleaner and the turbo.

Are you saying if they see that little port it will fail visual smog, and if I replace that piece with one without the port I will be fine.

Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

from what i'm reading, you just spent about $1500-ish on a turbo, that a wicked wheel would have fixed the issue..(100 buks).

I'm surprised your even making boost, revving it in N. Hell, mine dont move until 3rd gear..(zf6).

From ur original post, it sounds like turbo surge. More air then the turbo can move. Yes, a fix is a bigger/badder turbo or a simple w.w./wicked wheel, would have worked.

And yes, depending on where you go, i believe the 38r WILL fail a visual in CA...but dont quote me
Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm not saying you will or won't fail smog and I have no idea whether your new turbo will solve your particular issue...I'm just letting you know that when I had a similar surge issue, I had my mechanic install a WW and that solved the problem for me. I asked him about installing a ported housing and he informed me that he doesn't install them any longer as they tend to fail smog. It seems to me, after going through smog recently and talking to the technician, anything that doesn't look stock and doesn't have a CARB number displayed or is smog exempt is grounds for failure.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

ya 38r's are not smog legal.
the only smog legal aftermarket turbo is made by bd.

your issue of low boost could not even be turbo related.
sounds like you have a boost leak.

torn intercooler boots/manifold etc.
or leaking exhaust up pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.