Put gas in my diesel truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 04:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Put gas in my diesel truck

Ok first of all please do not judge the day was awful we recently lost our daughter my wife was admitted to the hospital I had been up for many many hours and as I pulled in the police pulled me over at the station for lack of tail lights and it was we hours of the morning. Needless to say not functioning well.

I grabbed the nozzle put in fuel an off I went.

The tank was very near empty
I only drove it a few miles to the house
Noticed an issue with the power and a kind of knock
Still not realizing I pulled up turned it off and tried to get a few hours sleep before going again.... woke up and realized.

Now I am here with only 1x hour of sleep and have to make it all happen again in the morning
Life sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 AM

Forgot to ask the question.... what do I do and is this going to cost me my truck not sure I can handle much more.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:27 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
at the very least you will need to have your fuel system redone. depends on how much damage the gasoline did to the truck. you will have to have it towed to a shop. DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow... so sorry to hear of your rough times. Trucks can be replaced... family members cannot. Positive thoughts sent your way...

However... about the truck... weather it's you or a garage... definitely get that tank and as much of the fuel system drained as possible. And, yeah, don't run it. Gas doesn't have lubricating ability like diesel and the fuel system needs to be lubed. Hence damage to injectors, etc. Myself, I would get gas out, new fuel filter and fresh fuel and try it. I hope others who know more than myself will comment on how good of an idea that is.

Good luck... hope this helps. Keep yer chin up pal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-04-2013, 04:53 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I don't know how much gas you put in but drain as much as you can. Add alot of diesel to it, with alot of diesel kleen or some other fuel additive. More than you normally would, like id do double(that's just me) and change your filter. Then drain the fuel bowl and pour diesel in it before cranking. Let it run for just like a minute or two. Redrain the fuel bowl, and pour diesel back in and it should be fine and clear that knocking up.

Good luck. You don't have to redo the entire fuel system.

I pray that you're wife gets better, and for peace and understanding for all of you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Very sorry for your loss...if you happen to be local to so cal, I'd volunteer to help you with whatever you need on this!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post
Very sorry for your loss...if you happen to be local to so cal, I'd volunteer to help you with whatever you need on this!
Same here, I am in south Gerogia/North Florida and can lend a helping a hand if needed!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 AM

agreed it's not the end of the world like it would be for a later model truck

and I like the fuel bowl idea it will get diesel in there faster

good luck with getting your life back on track as much as possible and sorry for your loss

Last edited by ZMANN; 07-04-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:33 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Wow, I just looked at the OPs profile...he's from Alaska! I don't think he's too awful local to any of us, but I would be willing to help in a heartbeat(sorry for the chebby reference). That's what I love about this forum. People helping others and willing to go the extra mile and come over to help others. Thanks guys for being great members!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You have a 2001, this one is real simple.

Take the outlet line off of the pump. Put a 3/8" line on it and run it into a bucket. Turn the key forward and drain the entire tank. Put 5 gallons of diesel in it. Drain that too. Fill the tank with diesel. Reconnect the outlet line. Get up on top of the engine and open the drain for the fuel filter. Turn the key forward. Let it drain all of the gas that's in the lines out. Close the filter housing, replace filter housing, start truck and let it idle. It will take about 10 minutes for it to clear up, being that you have stock AD's for injectors the factory coating on the fuel side of the injector is more resilient then the OBS injectors so you will probably be fine.

Drive the truck.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.