Suspension Issues on Ex - HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suspension Issues on Ex - HELP

After towing about 10k (without wgt dist hitch) in my 03 excursion today, i crawled under the truck just to see how everything was looking/running. I noticed on the drivers rear, the front clamp that holds the leaf pack was bent outwards and appears to be broken. I know very little about supensions but would assume that this is clamp is pretty important for the leaf set.

So, I have a dilemma because I have to delivery the building supplies that are in the trailer weighing 10k on Monday. Is there anyway I can just limp with the clamp bent like that? Obviously I could squeeze the clamp back together but I am nervous it is just going to do the exact same thing once I re load the trailer on. How vital is the clamp to the leaf springs?

As I mentioned, I do not have a weight dist. hitch and fear this load is a bit tongue heavy. I put the same trailer/load behind my stock 00 f250 and it was very close to being maxed out (about 1/2" from bump stops just sitting). So I am reluctant to use that truck as I would hate to burn it out overloading it.

Anyway, any advice and input would be greatly appreciated as I am on a time crunch and have to have something figured out by Monday morning. Worst case scenario ill rent a box truck but would like to avoid spending that $$

Thanks in advance.

Suspension Issues on Ex - HELP-image.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 12:10 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That piece of steel that bent/broken is used to keep all the leaf springs aligned so they don't shift to the side on top of each other. I had a front one break on my old 99 f 350 and ran it like that for about a month... Probably not a good idea, but I didn't have a choice. As for it being on the rear with a load on it!?! I'm not sure if I'd do it unless I had no other choice.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just take a C clamp and squeeze it back as best as you can. You be fine as long as you limp along like you suggested. I'd get some airbags for that thing if your gonna tow heavy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.