Random no start w/ clicking - replaced lots of items already - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random no start w/ clicking - replaced lots of items already

Ok so it seems like once a month ill jump in my truck and once I turn the key you just hear a click sound but the engine doesn't turn over - just the click sound.

I can simply start the truck using a screw driver and hitting the terminals on starter solenoid that's on the fender and with the key on the truck starts

But I've replaced (not all related to this problem) the starter solenoid, starter, both batteries, ICP, IPR, CPS, alternator, water pump, thermostat, gpr, all glow plugs, EOT sensor, blower motor resistor, ..... Then there's misc replaced items like brakes, calipers, abs sensor, brake lines etc.

All fluids recently changed, checked my uvch and it ohms correctly

So due to the random nature of this no start I'm thinking it might be a grounding issue for the starter solenoid or starter .... Anyone have a diagram on this electrical system

Or anyone else have thoughts .... It's weird because it happens once every three or four weeks and I just turn the key and then the click sound so I bypass it with the solenoid

This has been an on-going problem since I bought the truck before I changed or modded anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

if your hearing that click the solenoid/starter circuit is getting its power and ground so thats good.

that last time i had this problem it was my starter because crap from my valley drained into my bell housing and that stuff went in my starter, replaced the starter and havent had a problem since
Old 06-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

had the EXACT same problem. fixed it last week, it was my starter. but it worked fine for almost two years but every month or so i would get the click and no start, i would just keep hittin the key and it would finally start.

its hard to diagnose things when they happen so randomly like that, it sucked.

wait so whats the difference between turning the key and using the screwdriver? if it was the starter or starter solonoid then it shouldnt work either way right? i would trace everything from the key to the solonoid where you start it with a screwdriver, if the system works from that spot then the problem has to be upstream right?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:17 PM

Well I have to have the key turned to the on position - if I crank it over you hear the click
Then I go under the hood and have the screw driver touch two terminals on the starter solenoid and it starts
So I think it's simply grounding or wiring....
I don't think it's the starter because when it cranks over by itself it starts up instantly and when I use the screw driver I bypass the terminals it also starts instantly
Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 PM

But just like you two guys said - you replaced the starter and its fine and that's what most people say when I've researched this problem
Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 AM

I've also read where a possible problem lies with a manual level position switch
4R100 Manual Lever Position Switch
Anyone know anything about this?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 AM

I don't think this is your issue, but double check that the bolts holding the starter on to the block are good and tight.
Slightly loosened up on me once cause an intermittent bad ground and no start issue. Best part is, the fix was free.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 AM

yeah, had the same problem. Starter was only a couple years old and was the nippon denso high torque starter. Had a short somewhere in the starter so I got another one and boom it was back to normal. Clean the bolts off real good and clean the mating surfaces off from the starter face and transmission. SOS pad and brake clean. Also see if you have a tear in the power or ground wires of the starter to solenoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.