The GPR LED Mod as made famous by WMRiceman - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The GPR LED Mod as made famous by WMRiceman

The GPR LED Mod
As made famous by WMRiceman on FTE (Mark)

I thought I would put together a how to on the GPR LED mod. I struggled with my first install due to several minor problems. The majority of parts were gathered at Radio Shack, the rest were donated by work. Here goes!

Parts
1 – LED (Radio Shack has two sizes and three colors in each size. These are the 5 mm size)
5 mm Red LED w/ Holder (p/n 276-0270)
5 mm Green LED w/ Holder (p/n 276-0271)
5 mm Orange LED w Holder (p/n 276-0272)
1 – Automotive Inline Fuse Holder for 5x20 mm fuses (p/n 270-1238)
1 –500 ma ( Amp) 5x20 mm Fuse (p/n 276-1061)
3 – Red Butt Connectors
1 – Large Red Ring Terminal
1 – Medium Red Ring Terminal
18 ga or Larger Red Wire (Length dependent on mounting location)
18 ga or Larger Black Wire (Length dependent on mounting location)
1 – ID O Ring (Optional)

Tools
Drill
7/32” Drill Bit
Stripper/Crimper
Drive Ratchet
5/16” Drive Socket
1/2” Drive Socket

Directions

1 – Find a suitable location for the LED and drill your hole.

Be sure to check behind the hole for clearance and hidden wires etc!!! In addition don’t do what I did when drilling. See the photo for how the chuck damaged my pod as I drilled.

When finished drilling check for clearance and drill a larger hole if necessary. I used a pressure fit hold for my LED so I didn’t have to use the nut and washer provided with the kit. This worked very well for me and the threads have quite a grip on the pod. The o ring took up all possible gaps between the LED and the pod.

2 – Run the hot wire (generally red) to the GPR relay under the hood. This is located in the center of the valley. Be sure to run enough wire.

3 – Run the ground wire (generally black) to the ground for your gauges, dash, etc. This is located just behind the fuse panel cover on the right. Be sure to run enough wire.

4 – Trim wires that will be attached to LED to length.

5 – EASILY FORGOTTEN – Run the red and black wires through the mounting hole AND the o ring.

6 - Use a red butt connector to join the red wire to the red lead on the LED. Use another red butt connector to join the black wire to the black lead on the LED.

7 – Adjust your black wire and attach as necessary. Don’t pull too hard and rip the wires out of the butt connector on the LED end!!! Cut the wire to length when satisfied and attach the small red ring terminal (Mine was blue)

8 – Remove the 5/16” bolt and place ring terminal on bolt. Reinstall.

9 – Attach the large red ring terminal to one end of the fuse holder. I chose the female end, but it doesn’t matter.

10 – Remove the ” nut off the GPR and place the ring terminal on the connection. This should be the last ring terminal before the nut. (The highest in the stack) Retighten connection.

11 - Adjust your red wire and attach as necessary. I attached mine to the wire hider where the hood meets the cowl. Don’t pull too hard and rip the wires out of the butt connector on the LED end!!! Cut the wire to length when satisfied and attach the final red butt connector joining the fuse holder and the red wire.

12 – Do a final check for fitment and completion and install the fuse.

13 – Try it out! Hopefully your first try goes better than mine ; )

Here is the link to the thread with pictures and downloadable/printable pdfs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

so what is the benefiet of the gpr(glow plug relay) mod?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjeep View Post
so what is the benefiet of the gpr(glow plug relay) mod?
Tis funny you should ask.
The greatest benifit is the peace of mind knowing your GPR is functioning properly. This will eliminate one of the big "hard start" trouble spots. No light, No GPR. No need to jump the GPR with a screwdriver or get out your test light.
The second would be knowing when you actually have to wait to start. The gp's only fire when the engine temp is X degrees. Sometimes they will fire, sometimes they don't need to.
Three, it tells you if you really need to cycle the glow plugs (The answer is probably not...they are on for up to two minutes after the WTS light goes out)
Four, bc it is kinda cool looking and super cheap to do!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Bump. i just did this today, although i didn't realize this was common practice. looks great and a great idea
Old 01-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i didnt know this was a big thing online but i did it on my 97 and it was very informative with such a cranky truck.

Its a nice to have, but the one time the truck wont start it saves about 20 minutes of trouble shooting.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I did it when I put in my gauges, I like it too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.