running rough-- help, wife is mad - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
running rough-- help, wife is mad

It's time to post about my latest problem...

Wife's daily driver. 2000 Excursion Limited, 264K miles. Had 243K when we got it a little less than 2 years ago. Has run fine since then, stock aside from Edge Evolution programmer that was on it when we got it, and I did my favorite mod, the DIY intake/6637 air filter. 20K miles no issues, untill now. Batteries are about a year and a half old, replaced the alternator (6 mos ago).

Starts but runs rough, won't take fuel, won't rev up. A week or so a go, it did this, Edge went nuts, reset to stock BS, (even though it was already set to stock) no start, theift mode, etc. Was cranking slow, so charged the batteriies. Started fine after that. unpluged Edge completely (was only using it for gauges anyway).

Could weak batteries cause these issues? Have enough juice to start but not enough to power IDM and run it properly? Perhaps a weak alternator? I'm at a loss... plugged Edge back in to use it to read codes and now it won't even work.

Now, today, same thing. Will start, romping rough idle, won't rev/take fuel. Have drained water drain, no change.

What about CPS? I've heard they will just not start at all if it's CPS, not the type issues I'm seeing. I can rob parts from my yellow dually of the same year if it's an IDM issue, or anything else for that matter. What I don't have is any way to check the codes.

Please help me out here... wife is asking me why I can't fix it, thought that's why we bought a high mileage truck because I knew everything about them, etc. What I do know is how to ask questions from people who do know... help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 04:04 PM

If you're able to swap parts without too much trouble, try the fuel pump. To me it sounds like it could be that.

Then try ICP, IPR until one works

Are you sure the UVCH is hooked up properly? They tend to rattle loose and make it run like butt or not at all.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Do you have ae? Its going into limp mode. I would say something related to injectors. As you know it could be a number of things.

Uvch, injectors, hpop related, idm (but highly doubt).

You could try a different cps but I seriously doubt that is the problem.

Ohm out the uvch from the outside. Thats where I would start, otherwise I say it might be an injector but not certain

Its not the batteries imo. I lost my alt and had no juice left in the batteries. Got it jumped and raced to napa. Lost all lights, instruments, power, etc and it still drove fine.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:48 PM

I do not have or have access to AutoEnginuity or any type of scanner...

I DO have my yellow dually sitting by the barn not being used and can swap parts to trouble shoot the issues.

So where are these parts you speak of located physicly, to swap out?

Could it really just be the fuel pump, as mentioned? I think I can hear it running but that's no garrentee pressure is high enough.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-28-2013, 07:03 PM

I would ohm out the valve cover connector first. Ill see if I can find the instructions.
For now you can put the gnd to the center pin and pos to the ea of the 2 pins on ea side of the center pin. Those go to the injectors. The outter 4 pins are for the glow plugs.
If you do not get anything on the injector pins, the uvch either came loose or has issues.

I really do not think its a fuel issue but ive been wrong before.
You can always run a hose off thefuel bowl drain tube into a can. Start the truck and open the drain. If it has good flow then its not a fuel problem.

Try this
In the bottom video on the link down below, ken is checking Glow plug resistance. Use the center terminal c, and measure resistance between c and Each i to check injectors. Measure resistance of the glow plugs between g and battery ground. Values are down at the bottom.

Terminal positions=G G I I C I I G G
G=Glow Plug
I=Injector +
C=Injector -

Ohm Glow plugs between "G" and Battery Negative post. Should be between 0.1 and 2.0 Ohms

Ohm Injectors Between "C" and "I" should be < 5 ohms
https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...ow-plug-system

Last edited by INFRNL; 06-28-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like u have multiple issues. The romp seems like it might be uvch. Check each plug for tightness to each valve cover.

The no rev/fuel may be a fuse. I can't remember which number it is but it supplies power to your TPS.

When is the last time you changed the fuel filter?
Does the fuel pump make an obvious smooth running sound when you turn the key on but not start?

To kinda check fuel pressure since you don't have a gauge, put a catch pan under ur truck, turn the key forward and then open the pet**** valve on the back of the fuel bowl. Watch it spray out underneath by the oil pan. That will let you know in a round about way if there is decent pressure to at least rev the engine with no load.

Last edited by hucorey; 06-28-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Sounds like u have multiple issues. The romp seems like it might be uvch. Check each plug for tightness to each valve cover.

The no rev/fuel may be a fuse. I can't remember which number it is but it supplies power to your TPS.

When is the last time you changed the fuel filter?
Does the fuel pump make an obvious smooth running sound when you turn the key on but not start?

To kinda check fuel pressure since you don't have a gauge, put a catch pan under ur truck, turn the key forward and then open the pet**** valve on the back of the fuel bowl. Watch it spray out underneath by the oil pan. That will let you know in a round about way if there is decent pressure to at least rev the engine with no load.
I had the same symptoms as the op and it ended up being a bad injector. When you get romps and no/poor pedal response it is the truck going into limp mode to prevent further damage.
Mine had romps for the first time ever, idled rough, had a hard time running, no pedal response, kept dying, etc.

It will be hard for him without ae or something similar. At least he has another truck to borrow parts from if need be
Old 06-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
I had the same symptoms as the op and it ended up being a bad injector. When you get romps and no/poor pedal response it is the truck going into limp mode to prevent further damage.
Mine had romps for the first time ever, idled rough, had a hard time running, no pedal response, kept dying, etc.

It will be hard for him without ae or something similar. At least he has another truck to borrow parts from if need be
I agree but not always a bad injector will cause romp. Sometimes its timing, partial cps, or even tunes. Mine did it when I had my PHP chip. Gearhead chip, no more romp. But mine only did it when slowing down from highway speeds.

Also agree it'll be a bit more difficult w/o AE.

Hopefully we can get you going OP.

BTW mods, really Petco*ck is flagged. That's what its called.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 PM

Fuel filter changed about 3k miles ago.

What gets me is that it did this a week or so ago then was fine. Started it again then was ok after a good battery charge. Started doing it again shortly after that but quit after I turned it off and started it back up. Next time I started it- today- it's doing it again.
Seems random and spiratic. Batteries charging now just to make sure.

Find it hard to believe it's an injector... been running too good otherwise. Would one or more just totally die instantly? Yellow truck has one that 'sticks' untill it gets warmed up but once warm it runs good.

Guess UVC harness is first in line to check... fuel pump output...

Last edited by dieselcrawler; 06-28-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fuel level? Could be sucking air either in tank or at one of the quick connects. Just a thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.