2003 F250 Crew Lariat 4x4 ??'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 F250 Crew Lariat 4x4 ??'s

I'm looking at this truck. It's nice outside, decent inside. I like it however it has a few issues. I test drove it and I'll go through these issues in the order that I noticed them.

1: when I first started it, it cranked slower than 7.3 should (probably a battery). When it did start, it ran for about 1/2 second and then died. Started and then immediately died-just like the key was turned off. It didn't slow down or anything. Just quit. The second attempt to start it was successful. Fired right off and never died again.

2: A/C blows but only through the defrost vents. It started initially blowing at the defrost only, then after I started driving it a little it started coming out of the dash vents...then went back to the defrost vents. It cycled back & forth irregularly a few times while on the 15 min test drive.

3: The overhead console is dead. Nothing on the display. I googled it and seems like I saw mention of a a resistor??

4: I drove around for a while getting it up to operating temperature. I turned around on a side road to check the 4x4-it worked (Warn hubs with SOTF in the dash). Went right in and right out no problem. I turned it back off (4x4) and then attempted to pull into traffic. I got on the highway and was easing down on the accelerator just as it shifted into 2nd gear. Just as it was in the shift, it kind of did a hard shift. I didn't notice a flare or anything, but it was abnormal...to me anyway. Occasionally on my F150 Lightning (4R100) it will have an odd shift from 1-2 as I'm accelerating, though it's usually more of a real soft shift than a bang. Is this a concern on the F250?

5: Actually the first thing I noticed was that it was lower powered than I though it should be. I have a '95 PSD 2wd ext cab, and the '95 feels more powerful especially at part throttle. I'm thinking that perhaps the issue #1 and the lack of power are related? It was low on fuel but I didn't feel any miss or anything. Felt smooth, sounded fine, I did not notice any exhaust smoke and no appreciable (a little is normal?...my '95 has been like that since new) blowby out of the oil filler when I started it initially (cold). It just felt like I had to have it floored or almost floored to make it move out of it's own way. I used to drive an '03 x-cab 4x4 for work and it seemed like it had quite a bit more part-throttle power than this one. This one feels like the EBPV is closed continually. I remember the old work truck when it was cold outside it was pretty much gutless until the engine warmed up. That's the way this one feels continually, even hot (test drive outside air temp was about 92 F and pretty humid).

A dealer has this thing for sale and I like it. I don't know about the issues though since I'm not 100% familiar with the truck. At 20,000 the trans was replaced under warranty-but no information beyond that as far as trans repairs (it was flushed at 50,000 and 100,000). Currently has 133,000 on it. If you guys can point me in the right direction I might make an offer on it. He's asking $18,000 for it which I feel is out of sight, but he's open to my offer. However I don't want to offend him and I want to be realistic. It will need tires soon too. And I've always like Michelin LTX I believe they are on the old work truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

18k seems way to steep to me, especially since you dont know how much you will have to put into it.

The ac from defrost is just a vacuum leak most likely and will be an easy fix. The truck really needs to be checked out real well and diagnosed properly. Since its at a ford dealer they should have checked it.

Loss of power could be a number of things. Could be simple or complicated.

Overhead display could be a simple fix or possibly needs to be replaced too.

I bought my 03 cc lb lariat about 5yrs ago I believe without issues and paid 17,500 for it but that was a private party deal. Dealers wanted 22-24k for the same truck in worse cond.

Im not sure what trucks in your area typically go for but 18k is way more than I would pay
Old 06-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it didn't have any of the issues your describing and new tires its not a terrible price due to the lower mileage. But with those issues and bad tires I wouldn't pay any more than $11-12k. A guy at work bought the same truck, but a '99 for $10k around my neck of the woods.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does it have anything in the front end replaced? What's the millage? 18k is way too high.

I bought my 00 lariat scsb with 150k whole brand new joints warm hubs ect ect for 11k last year
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 AM

Well I bought it.

The sales guy thought it was "perfect" condition...and we went for a test drive to show him that it was not. Then we started dickering on the price. Got him down to 11,000 and I traded my old truck in for this one. Dealer agreed to have the trans looked at, repair the cracked seat cover, and do a full service on it. The trans shifting issue was a programming error...or that's what the Ford dealer said. Said they updated the program in the computer or something along those lines (I bought it from a Chevy dealer). Ford also serviced it. Trans and all. Original owner had service records and he did well...although nothing had been replaced in the front end.

Got it home on Monday. Had the overhead console fixed in a few hours. Took a while to figure that out, but I was not pulling hard enough for fear of breaking the plastic. Resoldered all of the resistors. Fixed. Tailgate latch broke while I was trying to open the gate....I went to the JY yesterday and found a nice one with a lock in it (but no key) so I cut the lock part off of the back of the handle and tacked the pin so it can't lock itself. $8 fix. Found out that the driver's side power mirror switch is on the brink but I already have one, bought it for the old truck and it got traded without it. I'll tackle that soon-if I can figure out how to get it out.

Runs out fine. No codes from what I am told (Ford checked it and I wasn't there....). I'm thinking about exhaust, but is it worth anything but noise? I'd like to have a little better MPG (don't we all...) and perhaps a bit better part throttle response. Or maybe I'm just trying to compare it to my '95 which is about 2500 lbs lighter weight. Can't believe this thing weighs 8000 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.