tq converter or bad trans??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tq converter or bad trans???

so when wot and it shifts from 1 to 2 it slips unless i let out of it or it shifts into 3rd then you can feel the power start pulling. at half throttle about half of the time it shifts really hard and solid and the other half it shifts smooth with a lil slip but still putting the power down to the ground. i added lucas oil trans fix and the 1st few days it shifted really hard at wot but has lessened and slips about half the time again. i thought it mite be the 2nd gear clutch pack but i dont know anything about these transmissions so could it be the torque converter? thanks for input J
see sig for mods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd take the Superchips off first.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 AM

my truck does the exact same thing. its also getting hot. im blaming the torque converter because i can feel it transition from one gear to the next but the torque converter wont lock up unless i let off on the gas
Old 06-26-2013, 12:45 PM

superchips on performance has horrible transmission tuning.
set it down to tow perf or tow safe and see how it shifts.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

if i take the super chips off then of course it doesnt slip because it has no power. if i wanted to drive it stock then i wouldnt have spent all the $ to get more power. i have tried it on light tow setting and it has a little more power then stock but not much. shifts ok most of the time but i didnt leave it on long because it was so slow. i put it on the fuel saver mode and its almost as fast as the performance mode and slips just the same. it actually gets the best fuel mileage on performance i think because of the 37's and having 373 gears. do custom chips change the trans shifting that much?? i dont want to spend $400 more on a custom chip just to have it still slip and have to spend more $ on getting the trans rebuilt or a new torque converter. guess i should take it to a trans shop but i know they will just say its because of the chip and to just take it off but thats not what im looking for. do i need to buy a racing trans just to keep up with a lil superchips tuner? sorry so long. J
Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 PM

now i know from experience that superchips on performance setting has sh!tty shifting.
when i bought my superchips before i could afford my php phoenix i put it on performance for 5 minutes. thats all the time it took me to realize that its as bad as id read. id floor it and the thing wouldnt shift and when it did it was so dang hard i woulda broke something in a week.

so my advice is to put it on a lower setting and save up for a better chip. before you ruin your trans thats gonna cost you a lot more than a custom chip

a php phoenix is only 300 bucks from php with 6 custom tunes. i am way happier with it than my superchips no comparison

cant even compare the power between the two either.
and yes the trans shifting is MUCH better
Old 06-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah on the times that it does shift on wot it shifts so hard its feels like the bed is gunna bounce off of the truck. thought it mite be a lil hard but better then when it slips. guess ill turn it down. J
Old 06-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

btw blue how much was your upgraded tq converter? J
Old 06-26-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j350rx View Post
if i wanted to drive it stock then i wouldnt have spent all the $ to get more power
i dont want to spend $400 more on a custom chip
If the trans is weak, you're gonna have to do some beefing up anyway. With the superchips, you'll just be doing it again another time later on.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM

im not sure how much it was. the tranny was rebuilt right before i bought the truck. ill have to find the paperwork lol

i think tq converters are anywhere from 600-1500 bucks.

and you might lengthen the life of the transmission by getting a new valve body.
i think they run from 200-300 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.