Clutch Pedal Assembly Removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch Pedal Assembly Removal

Hello Everyone,

I have several questions, and will try to keep this short and not too wordy.

I have the four bolts loose from the pedal assembly/bracket, but how do I remove the square, black housing that the master assembly rod is in the middle of?

Then how do I remove the rod completely so I may put the heim joint on?

Thanks for help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

reach in the engine bay at the master cylinder and turn it 1/4 turn. It'll pop from the fire wall. Good luck saving the birdcage clip, that the rod is coupled with ,to the metal bar, welded to the clutch pedal. Just brake it and free the m/s from the pedal.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
reach in the engine bay at the master cylinder and turn it 1/4 turn. It'll pop from the fire wall. Good luck saving the birdcage clip, that the rod is coupled with ,to the metal bar, welded to the clutch pedal. Just brake it and free the m/s from the pedal.
Thanks for the knowledge! I will be giving it a try after work. Yeah, I disconnected the rod from the pedal and the clip disintegrated, but that is fine because I am going to put that heim joint on.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just looking at the bracket where the rod holds the pedal on, it seems as though it has been used for a long time without the bushings and to me, it seems that the bracket is egged out too bad where putting the new bushings on will not matter. Does this seem logical? I will try to post some pics once I get the bracket out.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 AM

you referring to, what IS holding the pedal, suspended in the air or the protruding rod from the side of the pedal, that the m/c rod attaches to? Either way bud, replace them bushings atop the suspended pedal bracket..(get the know-how), and do ur homework on that heim-joint mod. I've seen and like the idea, of a thread, where the guy "tapped" the rod instead od using allen jam screws, to fasten the heim. Way better idea, i thought.

Curious, why the heim-joint mod? I know members that have hundreds of thousands of miles on stock set-up. Ya, the broken protruding arm sucks when it happens..(ask me how i know), but if you fix the crappy weld job from factory, it wont break again.

With rod in hand.., pedal on workbench, bust out your drill, and countersink the side that getting the new bead. Now, theres a "surface, where a puddle of weld will take place, thus, securing the rod a hellofalot better, then just tack welding the bottom/flat surface of it, like what the factory did.

Last edited by timmyboy76; 06-27-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, got some pictures, but don't know how to post them will read on that later.

Went to dealer yesterday to get the bushings for the rod that holds the pedal in the bracket. Smaller than I thought they would be.

Heim joint? Bought is a long time ago, and since I spent the money, I am going to use it, even though there are better ideas out there. Just didn't want it going to waste. Plus, I think it is pretty descent, just time consuming.

I am hoping to have it all put back together tonight, possibly tomorrow morning.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Putting things back together and I cannot figure out how to keep the master cylinder from pushing out of the bracket and back into the engine compartment...? It seems to me that I read somewhere about a retaining clip that was broken and the pedal would hit the floor. Is this the same thing? and if it is, where does that retaining clip go?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Now I am thinking about the 1/4 turn removal and reversing it, but it doesn't tighten to anything. I had a broken metal clip fall out as I was removing the clutch pedal and didn't know where it came from. I am now thinking that quarter turn used this clip and tightened against the fire wall
Old 06-29-2013, 11:25 AM

no clip. Inspect your m/s. You'll see 3 or 4 "fingers' on the outer housing. Now look up in the inside of truck, where the m/s protrudes into. You'll see where those "fingers" call home. Install from engine bay and turn 1/4 turn to "lock" m/s into firewall. On the m/s assy, you should have a wapred looking metal washer to help with keeping it "snug"...

DO NOT CLIP M/S ROD TO PEDAL PRIOR TO GETTING IT SEATED TO FIREWALL.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would like to add that one of the 4 corners on the MS is flattened
so turn about 1/4 turn towards the drivers fender push Through the fire wall then turn 1/4 counter clock wise, done
TB 76 is right about not putting the pedal rod no prior to the MS install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.