Just bought an '02 7.3 - first Diesel.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just bought an '02 7.3 - first Diesel....

Hi all – I just purchased a 2002 F250 Scab Lariat 7.3 PSD, 155K, Auto, Short bed. This is my first diesel so I thought I’d introduce myself, and the truck, since I’m sure I’ll have a few questions. The forum has already been very helpful in my research, so thanks.

If this were a gas engine, I could tell you what it had for lunch last Tuesday, but it’s not, so I was somewhat out of my element. That said, it drove out well and aside from a relatively minor-seeming steering rub (dealer agreed to figure out what it is and fix) the truck appears to be in excellent shape. Carfax and Autocheck were clean, some “services” were completed over the years, but no real details. I got the Oasis report as well as the dealer-performed pre-sale service report and only two items seemed like a potential concern – 1) Back in 2008, there was a crack in a head pocket (is that making sense to you) which apparently allowed Diesel into the coolant, they replaced it and flushed the coolant 7 times ( specifically said 7 times…I guess 7 is the magic number). The other perhaps more concerning issue was more recent, mid 2012, where the ETGs would spike to 1100 every 45 (assuming 45 seconds). The fix, according to the report, was a replacement fuel sender in the fuel tank – not sure what that has to do with surging EGT…but I did read that excessive EGT can seriously harm your engine, turbo specifically. In reading up on it, opinions varied on how high was HIGH in terms of EGT, but that 1100 was abnormal for unloaded cruising. I was concerned about damage to the turbo or elsewhere in the engine, but it didn’t seem like 1100 was catastrophically high, at least not for short periods, though it did make me uneasy. Part of my unease was due to the Banks equipment. The truck has a Banks Six-Gun, Banks Intake, Banks dual “monster” exhaust, Banks Trans-Command and a Banks exhaust brake. Normally performance upgrades don’t bother me, but then normally I’m the one installing them and then determining how hard to drive the vehicle – I’m always wary of other people’s installs and how they treated the car / truck afterword. I looked everything over and the installs seemed to be properly done. Given the otherwise “well-taken-care-of” condition of the truck, the fact that Banks stuff doesn’t seem cheap and that the most recent PO was the Service Manager of a local Luxury Car brand (and should therefore know the value or proper maintenance) I decided that the truck probably wasn’t driven into the ground.

All that said, before buying I drove my cousin’s ’01 7.3 F250 for comparison. My truck is louder, and has a sort of gurgle / rumble when you let of the accelerator, which I put down to the intake and exhaust changes. Turbo spool is louder, you might even say intrusive at times, but seems to operate fine otherwise. No idea how EGTs compare, but on the mixed freeway / local road ride home (45 mins+/-) my truck never exceeded 600 – though the Six-Gun was off (level1). All the other clicks, clacks and noises seemed to be consistent, and so I bought it.

The back-up sensors don’t appear to work, neither does the keyless entry, and the back-up camera has water in the lens – so I’ll need to look at those. There’s an “unknown function” silver toggle switch down at the bottom of the console, and another larger red toggle switch (this one lights up…woooo) just to the right of the steering wheel. I didn’t notice the red one while driving home, so I haven’t tried it yet….who knows….perhaps it increases horsepower to 1000 or converts the PowerStroke to a Cummins…..;-) (Can I say Cummins in a PowerStroke forum?)

So there it is, me, my truck, and today is day 2 of our relationship- ;-)

Allan.

Last edited by treozen; 06-25-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Congrats on the new truck man...I'm pretty new to the powerstroke world myself, so I don't have a lot to add...except the cracked head pocket may have been an injector cup.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post
Congrats on the new truck man...I'm pretty new to the powerstroke world myself, so I don't have a lot to add...except the cracked head pocket may have been an injector cup.
I think you're correct. I need to look at the report again but after doing some research on it, it sounds like it was an injector cup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.