Heavy Towing with DP Tuner and 6 Speed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Prew32
Heavy Towing with DP Tuner and 6 Speed

So i just bought an 01 F350 a few weeks back and Im getting ready to go on a long road trip pulling around 15k lbs. The truck is pretty well setup with fuel lab RR fuel system by Irate Diesel, Full force 160cc single shot injectors, 4" Ported Big Bad Wolf turbo from Sinister diesel, afe intake, 4" exhaust and custom tuning from DP tuner. O ya and it has a 6 speed with a newer clutch!!

My DP tuner has a 20HP tow, 60HP daily and 120HP setting. My question is, I have pulled the trailer empty with the 60hp setting and it pulled great and never got hot at all on the egt's. What is the limit for towing heavy on tunes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 05:19 PM

The heavier the trailer the lower you want too go with the tow setting, I would use the 20hp tow for that heavy of a trailer.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 PM

the 20hp tow felt pretty gutless, what am I going to hurt by running a higher tune?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:05 PM

You run the chance of unsafe EGTs damaging pistons and the turbo, mostly. If the EGTs are constantly hot, it's possible to overheat it, too.

Personally, I'd try it and keep a very close eye on the pyrometer, if it's getting too hot (over 1200 constantly), bump it down to the 20 horse setting.

You might also consider eventually having the chip reburned with a 40 horse tow tune.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '01SilverBullet View Post
You run the chance of unsafe EGTs damaging pistons and the turbo, mostly. If the EGTs are constantly hot, it's possible to overheat it, too.

Personally, I'd try it and keep a very close eye on the pyrometer, if it's getting too hot (over 1200 constantly), bump it down to the 20 horse setting.

You might also consider eventually having the chip reburned with a 40 horse tow tune.
last time i towed the trailer empty (11,750lbs) on the 60hp i dont think it ever even got to 1200 and that was pulling some pretty big grades too
Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The tow tunes are created with the weight limit in mind for safety. If you decide to run a higher HP tune, you run the risk of higher EGT's as the weight increases.

You may want to try towing with our 40HP Tow. It seems like it would be the correct match for your situation.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:11 PM

well i just got back from a 1600+ mile road trip pulling my 40ft toy hauler and the trailer was about 15,500 lbs fully loaded. I went from northern Ca up to idaho so I pulled some pretty steep grades and i pretty much towed off my pyro the entire time. I started out in the 20HP tow tune and it was pretty gutless so I switched to the 60HP tune and I was able to pull most of the time on that setting. I never let the pyro gauge get past 1200 but it would get hot fast once the motor would start to lug and I would have to downshift. Also it was very hot out like close to 100 degrees outside

So Im thinking i want to upgrade the cooling and either get a bigger intercooler or possibly water meth or even both.What do you all think?

Last edited by Prew32; 07-09-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 PM

I think it's awesome you came to Idaho. St. Anthony or where did you go?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrybizzle View Post
I think it's awesome you came to Idaho. St. Anthony or where did you go?
Ya we went to St Anthonys to have some fun in the dunes, my first time up there and I will be going back!!!! Best dunes!!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prew32 View Post
Ya we went to St Anthonys to have some fun in the dunes, my first time up there and I will be going back!!!! Best dunes!!
If you went 4th of July I bet it was packed. Any accidents that you saw? Occasionally when it's busy there can be a few reckless people. Glad you liked it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.