smoke on cold start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question smoke on cold start

Hi

On the first start of the day, the truck will smoke quite a bit. I believe it to be unburned fuel as its very acrid and burns the eyes.

Its been doing this since I got it late Dec. Since then, all the injectors are new, new beru glow plugs and a stancor relay. Both of the uvch have been replaced.

The smoke quits after several minutes, quicker if its warmer or I drive off. It doesn't smoke at all during the day.

There is no oil in the coolant...just replaced the filter to check this out.

I have ohmed out the gplugs and all are between .6 and .9.

The truck starts nicely although this is summer. I am beginning to suspect that the pcm isn't calling for any after glow cycling during cold starts.

What could cause this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 05:07 PM

Well to test your hypothesis of the PCM not calling for any glow plug heating, get a meter/test light. Meter will give actual volts, test light is just power or none.
You have two small lugs and two big lugs on your GPR. Two small are just used to the close the relay. Two big ones are 12V line (source, batteries), and the other is 12V load (GPs). With key off, you should have 12V to the relay, but nothing going out. Then with KOEO (key on engine off), you should have 12V on both big terminals, possibly 90-120 seconds, depending on conditions. And with KOER (key on engine running) the GPs should still be getting power for a while.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

That won't tell you if the PCM is sending the ground signal or not, that'll just tell you if the relay is good when the PCM sends the signal. It's more likely that the relay is bad than the PCM not working right. I suppose the only way to tell without a scanner would be to disconnect the PCM side wire and hook an ohmmeter inline with ground. Key off, infinite ohms; key on should show a path to ground.

There is a down side though. The PCM only sends that signal if certain conditions are met, and those conditions aren't met in the summer where I'm at. If you would remove that signal cable and ground the post out with a separate piece of wire, you can test the relay quick and easy no matter the temp. If the relay is clicking, then it's good. Remove the big wires and clean up the contact surfaces, as they can get corroded. Try it again, and life should be good.

I'm personally not worried about a little smoke at start up, just so long as it goes away. It's something I've known diesels to do for many years, even when everything is working as it should. I don't know why it would be smoking during the summer though. What's the morning temps like where you're located?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:47 PM

Hi

This behavior is with all my relays including the new stancor and the hd replacement one i put on last dec. The relay acts as designed when key is first set in the a.m. I have metered its operation and observed it click off the voltage.

As for "a little smoke.." if only it were so.... :-)

I am thinking about adding a momentary switch and taking the pcm out of the equation. Perhaps tomorrow...
Old 06-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lght1 View Post
Hi

This behavior is with all my relays including the new stancor and the hd replacement one i put on last dec. The relay acts as designed when key is first set in the a.m. I have metered its operation and observed it click off the voltage.

As for "a little smoke.." if only it were so.... :-)

I am thinking about adding a momentary switch and taking the pcm out of the equation. Perhaps tomorrow...
I would check the big terminals then, since you know the relay is good. Make sure corrosion isn't causing problems. If the relay is clicking, then the PCM is doing it's job, and bypassing it won't fix the issue. Of course, if your truck is just cold blooded and needs gp's at warmer than programmed temps, it would fix it.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Hi The relays in question are both brand new. They energize key on and remain for varying periods depending on conditions. The issue is there simply is never any after glow.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

White smoke like that?

I would say unburnt fuel but as you can see the snow is the background that's a winter, -15C, cold start. Mine never does it above 0C.

Depending on where you are your glow plugs shouldn't be activating now anyway, i only see the WTS light at night and not every night. I would look to fuel issues, ICP, IPR, compression ratio, a small amount of oil burning will be close to the same colour
Old 06-15-2013, 07:22 PM

When you say after glow, you mean they don't stay energized after the motor is running?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 PM

hi depending on temps and with our recent cold, rainy conditions, a small amount of after glow is to be expected especially if just idling. i suspect the ford programing that was flashed into this truck a few months ago is responsible as there is no reason a system that works as designed on first keyon, doesnt follow through once engine starts.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Glow plugs only stay on for a maximum of 2 minutes, and it has to be very cold for that to happen. Otherwise no they don't come on when running, aside from the first 2 minutes. To prevent cold stacking our motors will enter a high idle mode after about 2 minutes of idling(~900-1100 rpm depending on how cold). But again that is for winter temperatures unless you are near freezing you won't see that either.

What temperatures are you seeing this at?

Just jump the terminals on the glow plug relay for 15-20 seconds then immediately start the truck and report what happened to the smoke. That's the easiest way to eliminate the glow plug system as the problem. I think you have a different reason for white smoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.