wastegate controller PSD F 350 Dually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 10:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wastegate controller PSD F 350 Dually

Hello,
I own late 1998 model [7/1998 is manufacturing date to be exact] PSD F 350 dually. I was checking turbo wastegate controller by hand and I noticed it is almost impossible to move. I thought I should be able to move it back and forth but it didnít move at all. Is this normal? If not, what could be done to correct the issue? The truck runs fine, however turbo whistle is somehow less audible than it was before when you accelerate while driving at highway speeds.
Thanks in advance,
Isaac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2008, 02:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can take an air hose and blow into the wastegate nipple. Be sure to set the air flow at 10-15 psi. So you don't blow the wastegate out. If the wastegate does not move at all, it is bad or let it go. It will give you more boost instead of opening. But you should have gauges to watch the boost psi. But if it is stuck open replace it. All the boost is going out the exhaust.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:36 AM

Thanks Eschaner, i will try your suggestion to see if it moves with 10-15 psi and will go from there.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I believe your truck is an early 99 just like mine. You should not be able to open the wastegate by hand, it has a spring inside to hold it shut. A shut wastegate will not hurt anything, boost is regulated by fuel. Heck the 94-97 trucks don’t even have a wastegate. If you noticing signs of lower boost then it may be dust leaking by the factory filter and eating up your turbo impeller and engine compression. Take the intake hose off and visually inspect the impeller for good sharp corners and feel of it for too much play, also check inside the hoses for signs of dust trails. This is of course assuming that you haven’t thrashed the factory air box and put the DIY intake system on yet. (no info in your signature)
Old 03-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Here is what a new impeller looks like for an early 99 and an old dusted one

Old 03-22-2008, 09:41 PM

I didn't even know that there was upgraded air filter for our trucks, i read it in some of the post here and ordered AIS severe duty filter 3 weeks ago and installed it last weekend. Frankly, during installation i did not check the condition of the impeller. I am planning on doing it soon to see if there is any sign of wear or bent.
Also, does it really increase the boost if i install after market waste gate [ATS or BD] they all claim that it will increase the boost and HP by simply changing the wastegate.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You get boost from burning fuel, stock trucks boost around 15-18 psi under heavy load. Chipped trucks can get near 30 psi. The Ford AIS is a good filtering system but in my opinion the DIY is as good or better and costs around $40 to do. My truck had been dusted by the factory system before I bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.