trans operating temp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Branch, MN
Posts: 4,553
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trans operating temp

I just installed my trans temp gauge tonight and on my way home the needle never moved. I am just wondering if it was too cold to make it move or if my power wires are not hooked up right. I wasn't pulling anything, i wasn't driving hard, and i only drove about 15 miles to get home. The outside temp is about 29F right now. So do you think it just didn't warm up above 100?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,377
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd guess not hooked up right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Flint, MI
Posts: 4,057
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ya it should be around 120-IISSHH. Pulling a camper you don't want it much over 180. So it's probably not hooked up right bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Cynic
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 11,179
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
I just installed my trans temp gauge tonight and on my way home the needle never moved. I am just wondering if it was too cold to make it move or if my power wires are not hooked up right. I wasn't pulling anything, i wasn't driving hard, and i only drove about 15 miles to get home. The outside temp is about 29F right now. So do you think it just didn't warm up above 100?
15 miles at 29F??

You will not see the needle move.

EDIT: During the snow days that DFW had, my trans never went above 100* during 20 miles in stop and go traffic. Took 1.5hours to get home. Doing some testing on a 35F day awhile back, I hit 120* after 10-15 boosted launches and 100+ mph runs over 8 miles.

Last edited by Dirk; 03-21-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Flint, MI
Posts: 4,057
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk0 View Post
15 miles at 29F??

You will not see the needle move.

EDIT: During the snow days that DFW had, my trans never went above 100* during 20 miles in stop and go traffic. Took 1.5hours to get home. Doing some testing on a 35F day awhile back, I hit 120* after 10-15 boosted launches and 100+ mph runs over 8 miles.
ok I was wrong. Uneducated guess cause I don't look at that one too too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Cynic
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 11,179
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSevenThree View Post
ok I was wrong. Uneducated guess cause I don't look at that one too too much.
No problem at all. 60-90 degrees above ambient temp is normal. If he was hitting 120+ during that cold of a day (empty, grandpaw driving), I'd be concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Flint, MI
Posts: 4,057
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk0 View Post
No problem at all. 60-90 degrees above ambient temp is normal. If he was hitting 120+ during that cold of a day (empty, grandpaw driving), I'd be concerned.
Good point. I forget my foot is made of lead, and it was cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Redmond, OR
Posts: 585
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
when it is below 25-30* I NEVER see my trans gauge go above 100... unless I am towing something in town... but once I get out on the hiway it cools right back down...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-22-2008, 06:01 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Branch, MN
Posts: 4,553
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks for the input guys. I will get some pics up of my new gauge. I installed it right where the ESOF would be. It looks sweet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Cynic
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 11,179
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
thanks for the input guys. I will get some pics up of my new gauge. I installed it right where the ESOF would be. It looks sweet!
ESOF?

entrepreneurial skills of farmers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors