Turbo Chirp? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Chirp?

Hey folks,

I notice that when towing our fifth wheel (11K lbs)up extended steep grades and the EGT's begin to climb ~1000-1100* with the boost somewhere between 10-12psi I sometimes hear what I can best describe as a chirping sound which seems to be coming from the turbo area or the intake. The truck runs fine, doesn't seem to lack power and all gauges hold steady, nothing fluctuates. If I let up a bit on the throttle it'll go away or if the EGT's drop down to say 900* I don't seem to hear it. Towing on smaller grades, 4-5% where my EGT's stay lower I just never hear it. All my turbo boots and connections seem tight, no leaks that I could find. I had a DP-Tuner previously and I heard it with those tunes too. Haven't done much pulling with it in stock mode but I guess that will be next. Never happens when not towing or towing on anything but the steepest grades.

Any ideas? Anyone heard this before?

Thanks and regards,

Last edited by cpfullback; 06-12-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Okay, well, I did some more reading last night and it seems I have turbo surge when towing up big hills. Someone had a you tube posted of his surge and it fit my symptoms. OK, next question. I'm sure someone has had this and fixed it. Did changing out the compressor wheel clear it up and if so which manufacturer did you use (Banks, wicked wheel, etc)?

Thank you
Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

get the wicked wheel 2!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

you can do WW or a ported compressor housing, both will help with surge, i think the housing, even though it is 425 instead of the WW being around 200, is well worth the extra money because it sounds awesome!
youtube ats ported housings
Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm in California so I don't think the ported housing will work for me. SMOG police. I've talked to a couple of shops here locally and the one guy who knew exactly what I was describing indicated that so long as I'm not producing a lot of boost (which I don't) and I'm happy with the power my truck produces that the surge is more of an annoyance than anything. He said he had no problem taking my money but if I could live with the surge sound once in a blue moon that it really wouldn't hurt anything. Does this sound right to you guys?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 PM

surge is far more than a simple annoyance!
it is very damaging to a turbo.
go with the ww2 from dieselsite. a ported housing cures surge but thats all it does. a ww2 actually is a perfomance mod. and its half the price of a ported housing.
most people see a increase in boost, lower egts, and lower drive pressures.
riffraff sells a new billet wheel and so does bd so theirs a few to choose from.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I contacted a local diesel mechanic who has installed a ton of these. I set up an appointment with him to install one on mine. He uses the billet compressor wheel from BD Power for his installs. That should do right?

Regards
Old 06-13-2013, 04:29 PM

ive heard good things about bd's new billet wheel.
you will be happy with the results

just a thought, how much is he charging? cause you can buy it for 185 bucks and its easy to install.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I seriously considered doing it myself but I didn't feel too comfortable getting in there with an impact wrench and screwing something up. Besides, I just finished doing a BD Brakeloc install and my back is screaming at me not to contort my back trying to get to that turbo for a while :-)

When the mechanic said it would be 1.5 hr. labor (~150 bucks) I said sure. My wallet doesn't like it but my back will.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 PM

well how do you know he wont use an impact

tons of people have used impacts to change the compressor wheels, myself included. although taking the turbo out isnt that bad.

but in the end your truck....and your back will thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.