Need help and tips - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help and tips

I am about to drop the tranny and put in a TQ from ford which is triple disc right? better than my stock one? Anyway have a few questions
1. Is there anything I need to know before I do this?
2. I am going to rent a tranny jack, is there anything I need to make sure it has on it ?
3. Should I change any fluid?
4. I really need some pointers here, I have dropped a tranny before, but nothing this big, it was in a jeep and I have never put a TQ in so does it just slip on and then put the tranny back up and bolt it back to the flexplate?
5. I am doing this alone, is this a mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM

Well that tranny is heavy as heck, so make sure you have it properly supported. I would hate to hear it fell on your or something weird like that. I think the new TC from ford is better than the stock one, but I don't know if its triple disc. I would do a complete tranny flush while you are at it, can't hurt. It would probably be best to get atleast one more person. All I know is that the tranny is HEAVY. So be prepared. Good luck I would love to hear how it turned out.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:04 PM

I don't know anything about a triple disc ford TC but unless you are a really big stong guy with all the proper tools I wouldn't take it on by yourself. I haven't pulled one of these trannies either but I pulled some others. Put a quart of ATF in the TC before installing and you shouldn't have to change any fluid if you keep everything clean and you rexisting fluid is good. Some TC's are only supposed to go on the input shaft one way so make sure it is fully seated and moves. I would manually turn the crank when you're all done to make sure you're not bound up somehow.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in for ya

I typed too slow again!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:10 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Automatic Transmission Removal
Old 03-21-2008, 05:44 AM

WOW you cant beat that write up....Thanks man, one more questtion, The old TQ just slides off and the new one just slides back on? All I have to do is make sure it is fully seated right? I dont understand how a TQ works...
Old 03-21-2008, 07:50 AM

when the tc is off, take a good look at the trans front seal. i did mine for cheap insurance.

make sure there is atf in that tc before you install it.

depending on the mileage of truck you might want be replace the rear main seal on the engine.

once you place the tc on the input shaft turn it with a little pressure you will feel it step itself deeper into the bellhousing.

i would advise to change the trans filter and fluid at this time if it hasn't been done recently..........and find another pair of hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.