Some issues and questions about the 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Some issues and questions about the 7.3

I just recently bought a 02 F250 4x4 XLT Crew Cab with 160K. This is my first diesel. Just took it on its first drive today to work.
It has some issues. I also don't know the history of the truck other than it was used for towing a fifth wheel some times and has signs of being wrecked before.
Issue #1 - Steering has play. It is an excessive amount of play. Play on replacing the ball joints some time soon (along with shocks, but this shouldn't effect steering) as they seem to be worn. Is there any other parts besides checking the steering box and tie rods that could effect the steering to have play? It does drive straight if you let go of the wheel.

Issue #2 - Just noticed this today, the gas gauge bouncing all around. Drove like 35 miles to work and it was on full. About 7 miles out, the gas gauge dropped to 3/4 tank then it started to oscillate around 3/4. Once I got to work and pulled into the lot, it was back up to just below full. If this a common issue or what?

Issue #3 - When shifting into OD, it sometimes shifts hard. Is this just the nature of the beast or what? It does need a fluid change, will be doing a flush and new filter this weekend. Will this help with the issue? Also would Mecron V help. It calls for Mercon.

Also this weekend, plan on changing the fluids in the diffs. Any advice for this? Recommend for fluids?
I already changed the oil and oil filter and fuel filter the past weekend.

I just need to make this truck mechanical great and safe to drive. So any advice and insight is greatly appreciated. The truck will be used mainly for a daily driver and sometimes towing the a small 18' trailer for the odd riding trip. Right now, the engine is 100% stock. But in time, I plan on doing exhaust, chip and intake. But first I want to make sure this truck is running great before I mess with it.

Thanks,
Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillafreak View Post
I just recently bought a 02 F250 4x4 XLT Crew Cab with 160K. This is my first diesel. Just took it on its first drive today to work.
It has some issues. I also don't know the history of the truck other than it was used for towing a fifth wheel some times and has signs of being wrecked before.
Issue #1 - Steering has play. It is an excessive amount of play. Play on replacing the ball joints some time soon (along with shocks, but this shouldn't effect steering) as they seem to be worn. Is there any other parts besides checking the steering box and tie rods that could effect the steering to have play? It does drive straight if you let go of the wheel.

Issue #2 - Just noticed this today, the gas gauge bouncing all around. Drove like 35 miles to work and it was on full. About 7 miles out, the gas gauge dropped to 3/4 tank then it started to oscillate around 3/4. Once I got to work and pulled into the lot, it was back up to just below full. If this a common issue or what?

Issue #3 - When shifting into OD, it sometimes shifts hard. Is this just the nature of the beast or what? It does need a fluid change, will be doing a flush and new filter this weekend. Will this help with the issue? Also would Mecron V help. It calls for Mercon.

Also this weekend, plan on changing the fluids in the diffs. Any advice for this? Recommend for fluids?
I already changed the oil and oil filter and fuel filter the past weekend.

I just need to make this truck mechanical great and safe to drive. So any advice and insight is greatly appreciated. The truck will be used mainly for a daily driver and sometimes towing the a small 18' trailer for the odd riding trip. Right now, the engine is 100% stock. But in time, I plan on doing exhaust, chip and intake. But first I want to make sure this truck is running great before I mess with it.

Thanks,
Nick
1. More than likely the steering box needs adjusted(The set screw on the top). The track bar is the most likely culprit for bump steer. $54 bucks for MOOG at rock auto. There's a good YouTube video how to flush power steering/hydro booster.

2. Gauge wire could be loose. Bad sending unit. Float sticking???

3. It could shift hard do to a shift kit installed. Its not normal if its OEM though. Use Schaeffer's or Amsoil. BTS recommends Schaeffer's
Has to be full synthetic in the diff's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 AM

Ok thanks for the advice.
Will look into that stuff.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
1. More than likely the steering box needs adjusted(The set screw on the top). The track bar is the most likely culprit for bump steer. $54 bucks for MOOG at rock auto. There's a good YouTube video how to flush power steering/hydro booster.

2. Gauge wire could be loose. Bad sending unit. Float sticking???

3. It could shift hard do to a shift kit installed. Its not normal if its OEM though. Use Schaeffer's or Amsoil. BTS recommends Schaeffer's
Has to be full synthetic in the diff's.

^^^ all of what hucorey said but, I will caution you on this. Do not over tighten the set screw on top of your steering box, if you do the steering wheel will not return on its own when turning.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDeerHunter View Post
^^^ all of what hucorey said but, I will caution you on this. Do not over tighten the set screw on top of your steering box, if you do the steering wheel will not return on its own when turning.
Do a search for this as I can't remember exactly how to do the adjustment. I believe loosen the jam but. Then turn in the set screw until you feel slight resistance. Then back it off 1/2 turn???? Retighten the jam but with Allen in the set screw so they don't turn together.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's been a long time since I have done this steering adjustment but I believe you are right. I would have move the steering back and forth a little also.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 AM

Update

Issue #1 - Ordered new shocks all around, got some skyjacker. Also ordered 10pc steering kit, all new tie rod ends, ball joints, and the bars. Going to install all this, make sure the box is tighten correctly then get an alignment. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Issue #2 - it only did it yesterday morning, haven't seen it do it again.

Issue #3 - Getting fluid and filter this weekend, flushing out the trans and diffs. Going to get some amsoil mercon fluid, then 75w140 and 75w90 for the diffs.

Let me know if any of this is incorrect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.