New guy, got a couple of questions! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New guy, got a couple of questions!

How yall doing first off!

Names Mark, live in the great state of Texas, San Antonio to be exact! I just picked up a 02' F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4. I've been looking into diesels for awhile and had a good deal to pick up one so i couldnt resist. Been doing alot of roaming around here on the forums and got just a couple of questions. I got a full gauge set-up on order, 7inch custom exhaust going to be done at a shop here in town (straight-piped), and a air filter (deciding between airfury and S&B or if anyone has anything good to say on another one im open for the idea) but i do want to get a tony wildman chip as seeing everyone boasting how awesome his chips are.. my real main question is, seeing how alot of my buddies are killing there tranny's with there programmers, wht exactly needs to be done to be safe to the tranny in order to run the 140+hp stage on the chip? or will the stock tranny be alright? Another note the new stroke just clocked 150,XXX miles what should i start looking to replace or keep an eye on. Anything you guys can add in will be greatly appreciated.. oh yeah ps the zoodad mod is ordered (well the nice little Z-plate that is)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

valve body will help. with that many miles i would go for a full build, thats just me though
Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A full build would be one option, but I am more of a run it till I trash it guy. Since you are in Texas you would probably want to go with BTS (Brians Truck Shop). They are in your neck of the woods (BARELY) He can hook you up with a VB for your truck and be sure to tell him you have a TW or DP chip in the truck. Be sure to tell Tony or Jody this info as well.
IF you trash this tranny before you sell the truck you can always get a $4000 rebuild then. For now, the $250 valve body (Which is part of the rebuild so you could probably talk him into a hundred bucks off or maybe even full price) will help it last longer.
BTW, John Woods Transmission is the other valve body to consider. That is what I am running. I ordered it from ITP.

On a side note, get updating that sig!!! That way you don't need to tell us where you are and what your mods are etc in every post. I am far too lazy to do that every time
Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Conservative and Proud

WELCOME ABOARD!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hmm well thanks for the input guys I guess i was mistaken on the durability of the PS.... I thought 150,XXX was nothing considering its a diesel. But I got no money for a full build I mean i just bought the truck, so kinda broke now. So what stage would be "safe" on the TW chip, but still spit smoke, and give me a noticable power increase? Also for the HID's that i wanna put on the truck what headlights can i get in order to fit them?

Thanks in advance guys
Mark
Old 03-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by z32gizzle View Post
Hmm well thanks for the input guys I guess i was mistaken on the durability of the PS.... I thought 150,XXX was nothing considering its a diesel. But I got no money for a full build I mean i just bought the truck, so kinda broke now. So what stage would be "safe" on the TW chip, but still spit smoke, and give me a noticable power increase? Also for the HID's that i wanna put on the truck what headlights can i get in order to fit them?

Thanks in advance guys
Mark

Like we said, get a valve body and you are ok.

You will be fine with any stage you would like to get. Go 140 and don't worry about it.

On a side note, when did we say the PSD is unreliable??? We have said that the 4R100 is the weakest link in the drivetrain, but NEVER that the motor was a problem.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

I think the DP or Elite diesel tunes incorporate transmission files as well, I don't know about TW though.
You have 150K on it, don't even worry about doing anything to it for a while, just mod it up and enjoy it.
I have 240K on mine and JUST had the stock trans rebuilt, and that is only because I trashed it with an Edge Evolution programmer.
These motors are very reliable, and you'll have it for a long time!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hmm I gave the remark PS arent reliable due to the first reply saying i would rebuild... but now that i know the VB will help guess it looks like its gonna be a VB mod coming up soon..and as for the TW not coming with tranny files can anyone elaborate if theyu do or don't cause if they dont i might lean towards the dp tunes then..

Thanks again guys
Old 03-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z32gizzle View Post
hmm I gave the remark PS arent reliable due to the first reply saying i would rebuild... but now that i know the VB will help guess it looks like its gonna be a VB mod coming up soon..and as for the TW not coming with tranny files can anyone elaborate if theyu do or don't cause if they dont i might lean towards the dp tunes then..

Thanks again guys
Looks like the money your about to dump into your lift and tires would buy a really good triple disc torque converter from John Wood Transmissions, and his valve body, and a bunch of good power mods!

With that size tire/wheel combo your gonna HAVE to do a gear ratio change also, some more BIG $$$
Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah i decided screw the lift i like the truck at its current height and i'd rather have the reliability than being in the sky...but the lift would cost me next to nothing I have a bunch of buddies that work at the local offroad shops out here in helotes... but yeah i will just go for power and reliability oddly enough used in the same sentence. haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.