trans temp gauge readings??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trans temp gauge readings???

I just installed my autometer gauges and was wondering the normal reading on a trans temp gauge? The gauge hardly ever gets over 125 degrees which is the first mark on the gauge. I drive about 10 miles to get it up to 125 haven't drove it much more than that but I thought it should be reading more than that. The truck is unloaded but still it is a 02 crew cab 4X4. The stock gauge I know is not to accurate but it will go half way up before the autometer even moves off 100 degrees. Any help on what other ppls gauges read?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008, 08:17 PM

first the trans guage on the dash will give you a false reading because it is mounted on the supply......where the hot oil exits the tranny this is why it moves faster
Old 03-18-2008, 09:05 PM

This all sounds pretty normal. I have a Isspro trans gauge and it takes awhile for the temp to come up over the 100 mark, the dash gauge will already be showing in the normal range when the isspro come off 100. Mine runs around 130 after it's good and warmed up so your temps are just fine. Try driving around town and let the trans go through the gears a lot, that will warm it up quick because the torque converter will be slipping more, that will give you an indication of how the gauge reacts to the trans getting hotter.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Cynic

During this weather, that is normal if you have the sensor grabbing the temp from the driver side service port.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:22 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

The "normal" range is 70-90 above ambient, so if temps where you at are in the 30's - 50's this is about right. The lower side (70) for unloaded conditions and the upper (90) when towing heavy. Ford doesn't consider anything under 230 abnormal, but my rule anything sustained over 200 needs more cooling. Remember you are heating up close to 5 gal's of ATF, this isn't going to happen in a 5 mile trip. It takes mine about 20 min before it is all warmed up. I always recommend gauges that start at 100, but 125 is just fine. With a real gauge you will now see why the factory unit is such a piece of garbage.
NCH
Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Thumbs up very Helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
The "normal" range is 70-90 above ambient, so if temps where you at are in the 30's - 50's this is about right. The lower side (70) for unloaded conditions and the upper (90) when towing heavy. Ford doesn't consider anything under 230 abnormal, but my rule anything sustained over 200 needs more cooling. Remember you are heating up close to 5 gal's of ATF, this isn't going to happen in a 5 mile trip. It takes mine about 20 min before it is all warmed up. I always recommend gauges that start at 100, but 125 is just fine. With a real gauge you will now see why the factory unit is such a piece of garbage.
NCH
I too was worried about my trans temp as I was/am considering installing an add on trans cooler for my 2000X, but my readings (on newly installed full sweep autometer trans temp gauge) here in Central Oregon have been not higher then 125 and that is after going up some decent hills and such, but the temps have also been from 10-50 so what you are saying lets me know the guage is working and I am just running nice and cool.

We will see what it reads when I get down to CA next week?

Thanks......

Strandard Reading of my trans during the winter:
Attached Thumbnails
trans temp gauge readings???-7157_d.jpg  

Last edited by CentralOregon; 04-08-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.