aarrrgghhhhhh!!!! still trying to diagnose a no-start issue... please help. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 07:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
aarrrgghhhhhh!!!! still trying to diagnose a no-start issue... please help.

Hey folks, I'm still trying to get my truck running. It's our only big truck on the farm and we REALLY need it going...

Here is the run down... A few months ago, the truck started running really awful and died, took about 10 seconds from it running poorly until it died. I fiddled with the fuel bowl, thought it was maybe water and eventually the truck started and all was well. Couple days later it did the same thing. I fiddled with the fuel bowl, and it started again, all was well.

Then, when tryin to start one morning it sputtered a bit and hasn't hit one lick since.

Truck cranks over, oil pressure gauge rises, tach moves, wait to start light works. I have plenty of fuel coming into the fuel bowl, but I'm getting NOTHING. No smoke, no sputters. I'm 99% certain the injectors are not opening. I'm told you can hear them. I was told I could put a spare oil pressure sensor (for the high pressure) on the plug and use a small screwdriver to apply pressure to test that, still not hearing any clicking and still not even trying to start. I have checked the oil in the high pressure resevoir, it is full. Today I replaced the IDM on the truck as I was assured that was my issue. Nope, nothing. This is getting really frustrating, I sold some of my favorite guns to afford some parts for this thing and still not even trying to start....

Been looking around online for months now and no one seems to have all the symptoms I am.

For the last while it has been running rougher and rougher when it is cold out, my very first thought was that it was the high pressure oil pump, but was told that by doing the screwdriver in the sensor trick would test for that...

There is no way I can afford a shop to fix this thing...

Any help would be greatly appreciated in diagnosing this beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

To diagnose? Get some live data monitoring software, and go from there. Without it, you're gonna sell a lot more things by guessing.
It could still be fuel supply, but most likely something with injectors. UVCH is always likely but still can be lots of things.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
To diagnose? Get some live data monitoring software, and go from there. Without it, you're gonna sell a lot more things by guessing.
It could still be fuel supply, but most likely something with injectors. UVCH is always likely but still can be lots of things.
Yeah, I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get all that stuff... The plus side is I'll be the only fella in our area with that stuff so I might be able to pay for it by scanning trucks for others. Right now I have a fella coming over with a better scanner than I have so maybe we can find something going on...

thanks, I will probably have to do that.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:14 AM

well... just had a local "expert" come over to help. He hooked up a 50 dollar scanner, when it showed no codes he said it was the injector pump. I said "you mean the high pressure oil pump" he said, "nope. it's got an injector pump just like your tractor over there"

great. By the time I'm done figuring this problem out I guess I'll be the local "expert" haha.

A friend has offered the loan of his pcm out of his truck to try, other than that I am completely stumped...
Old 06-08-2013, 09:55 AM

I guess the IPR might not be opening at all.
I'm not sure what the screwdriver test you did is all about.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 AM

the screwdriver test is supposed to trick the sensor into thinking you have enough high pressure oil and while the truck might not run, it "should" make the injectors click.

I just swapped computers out of an identical truck, still no go... I guess I'll have to build an oil pressure gauge and check the HPOP now.... UGH...

any ideas on how to test the IPR?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:53 AM

check the tin nut on the IPR. You can make a DIY tester..(its what i did). 5000psi 4ft hose to a 5000psi liquid gauge. Use -AN fittings on head (#5orb) x 1/4 or 3/8 JIC. I've seen 2200psi during cranking.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:08 AM

so I need to put the tester where the IPR goes? I thought I put it on the pressure sensor on the head off to the side of the fuel bowl...
Old 06-08-2013, 01:02 PM

Just wondering here...Have you tried using ether to see if it will start?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:27 PM

after a couple of months of this (not being able to figure the problem out) I have eventually broken down and tried a little ether, it will stumble a little with ether.

Possible compression issues aside, the injectors are definitely not firing and I am sure this is the problem, I just can't figure out why they aren't firing. No smoke, no nothing, not one injector is clicking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.