Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How strong are the 7.3 stock trans?

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Redrock2000 
#1 ·
I am looking into a 7.3 and once I get one I am looking to do a beans ts 6 position chip, exhaust, and a intake

I barley ever tow and when I do it is only a few quads and i tow my mustang to the tuners once a year other then that the truck will be my daily driver so my question is, are these mods too much for a stock trans? Or how well do the stock trans hold up?

#2 ·
I think it all how depends on how you drive. I have an 01 F250 with 107,000 miles.....82,000 of which have been with 8 inches of lift and 38's. I barely ever tow anything and have had zero issues with the transmission. I also drive like an old grandma for the most part. The only upgrade i have done is an upgraded valve body.

#3 ·
Typically...the trans will stand up to the general mods you are talking about. An additional one I would recommend is guages so you can monitor the trucks performance/key components.

Obviously, when you buy a used truck it depends on who had it before you and how they treated it. If the previous owner maintained the truck and didn't beat the crap out of it...you should have no issues.

#5 ·
Manual or auto?

#8 ·
My zf6 is bulletproof so far they say the week point is clutch but at almost 150,000 mine still feels great with no slippage. but neither i or the PO towed very much with it.

#10 ·
Nothing at all its 100% stock. As for a clutch when mine goes im gonna get a southbend clutch i have heard good things about them

#11 ·
add a temp guage, 6.0 cooler and a spin on filter and they last just find with just a chip & normal mods...add inj's and turbo then the story changes.

What it'd take to bulletproof it? And any clutches you'd recommend?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
south bend dual disk hands down :sad: wish I had a manual

#13 ·
Well the ww2 really doesnt do anything more than spool faster. it does give you more boost but not anything crazy. now if you do injectors and a bigger turbo then yea you wanna build your trans

#14 ·
Someone mentioned running a spin on filter, DON'T. Brian at bts answers that all the time and says no its actually worse for it as it acts as a restriction. My stock trans lived behind 500hp for around 6months before i got my bts and it was still in good shape. That was also with me beating on it 24/7, I wouldnt recommend it but they are tougher than they get credit for It had a valve body when I chipped it, then it got a dpc torque converter when I put 250s in the truck. If you have an 01 you have a weaker trans since it has a mechanical diode, that'll be the weak link.

#15 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum so please be gentle. I am about to dive into the world of the ford Powerstroke. I have my eye on several F350 2wd models. All of wich have high mileage. One of them is a 2000 with 338k on it. It looks very well cared for. Trans has had a recent service. He says he has only used for personal use and not towed much with it. All of the obvious looks good. Any advise on how dependable these transmissions are? Should I plan a transmission repair into my budget?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.