4X4 help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4X4 help

My buddy has a 2005 f250. He has been stuck several times this winter. The dealer says you have to have forward motion to go into 4x4. In this case he was on ice. So he wasn't movin at all and prevents him from using 4x4. I dont recall having this problem with my 2002. Anyone know if this is right or a fix to it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 02:49 AM

If he has auto locking hubs it takes forward momentom to get the hubs to lock, also if the there is no vaccum for the hubs to engage they wont work.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 AM

He has the selector switch on the dash and the hubs have a auto or manual position. And by the way what and when should the hubs be in each position. My 02 is the same way.Neither one of us are sure how they are supposed to work. I have been told that by tapping the brake it will transfer power from wheel to wheel.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:47 AM

I have a 03 with auto hubs and I don't remember having to be moving ....I've pulled into the sand in glamis in 2wd go for a while and then start to get stuck ill stop turn the knob to 4wh and just pull right out... So to me it sounds a little funny
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Barchetta
I could be wrong, but if it's an electronic shift 4wd then you don't need forward movement. When the hubs are in auto, the vacuum line locks the hub and therefore 4wd will be engaged.

The problem could be that the hubs were frozen and would not lock in auto. That's the advantage of having the hubs locked in the winter. You don't have to worry about the hub being frozen and locking.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:05 AM

If its a problem for him then he needs to get out and lock the hubs himself
Old 03-17-2008, 05:33 PM

He was told by a dealer that by just locking in the hubs would not make the 4X4 work. So if I understand this correctly then by locking the hubs and putting the selector switch in 4X4 will lock in 4X4 no matter what. Sound correct?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:02 PM

locking the hubs will lock the tires to the axle but the transfercase still has to engage the front driveshaft. if oyu have the front locked and flip to 4x4 all it is really doing is locking in the driveshaft.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 AM

So what I am getting from everyone is that you do not need to have forward motion to put it in 4 wheel. But you can put it in 4 wheel while moving as an option.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
it has a shift on the fly feature, so yes you can switch into 4 wheel high while moving. do not go into 4 wheel low when moving. if he was slipping on the ice, then he locks the hubs in or even flips the switch, it is still having a " forward motion " in the drivetrain, even though the truck itself isnt moving. if all he did was flip the switch and nothing happened i would say to check the vacuum lines that go to the hubs, see if they were frozen or had leaks. if not that, then check the vacuum pump itself. hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.