Tony Wildman reburn...WTF? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tony Wildman reburn...WTF?

I sent in a TS chip to be reburned by Tony. I had been running his chip for 3 years and was very happy with it. But I recently upgraded to single shot injectors BD thruster turbo, and an adrenaline HPOP, so I sent it in to be reburned.

I sent my chip into him and it came back as a bad burn. The truck runs, but it runs like crap. There's like two hi-idle tunes, 3 tunes that appear to be stock tunes, and one cammed tune that makes it sound like a big block. WTF? The shift points are all FUBAR, like a 1-2 shift at 10mph at WOT. It's pretty much worthless. It runs BETTER without a chip than with it.

I've tried emailing Tony and Randall MULTIPLE times with no response. I've tried calling and someone would pick up the phone and set it down (I'd hear background noise).

Yes, I'm aware of Tony's personal issues and have empathy. A 6 week turnaround and never responding to any inquiries is an unacceptable business practice. I'd prefer it if he just would have shut down his website or simply been upfront said on the website that inquiries would not be answered and that turnaround time could be up to 6 weeks. I don't think anyone would fault him for shutting down his website to spend his last moments with his child. But keeping people in the dark is not acceptable.

I can't wait another 6 or more weeks to send it back to Tony. I specifically went with Tony because he came highly recommended and did free reburns. I now regret plunking down $500 on his chip.

Who's the best and quickest to do a reburn? PHP? Does anyone offer any with a core exchange? This really sucks because I really can't afford to spend hundreds more on tuning when I just bought injectors, a BD-thruster II, AE, IPR, and spent $500 already on tuning.

Last edited by foobeca; 06-01-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

As much as I don't think tony is bad, just a bad situation.

The F6 tuner from DP is probably your best option. The chip can be updated without removing it. It is my understanding that you just have the new tunes emailed to you. Take your laptop out to the truck and plug it in.

The whole team at DP is awesome, plus they have a forum member here, Justin, who is very good at answering any questions. And even the big guys return emails daily. When you are dealing with custom tunes.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post

The F6 tuner from DP is probably your best option. The chip can be updated without removing it. It is my understanding that you just have the new tunes emailed to you. Take your laptop out to the truck and plug it in.

The whole team at DP is awesome, plus they have a forum member here, Justin, who is very good at answering any questions. And even the big guys return emails daily. When you are dealing with custom tunes.
Yeah, I've heard the same thing about DP. I almost went with them to begin with. The two reasons I didn't was cost and how highly recommended Tony was back in 2010. At this point, I wish I spent the extra cash. The whole situation is really crappy. I was VERY HAPPY with the TW tunes before I sent it in for a reburn. The econo tune was amazing and it even worked perfect with W85 (waste motor oil) with no smoke.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a very similar situation, it is back to stock now and I plan going with PHP.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post

Yep, that is the beauty of the F6. No removing the chip and mailing it back and forth. All you need is a computer that you can bring out to the truck. All tunes are sent and received by e-mail and you put the tunes on the chip yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobeca View Post
Yeah, I've heard the same thing about DP. I almost went with them to begin with. The two reasons I didn't was cost and how highly recommended Tony was back in 2010. At this point, I wish I spent the extra cash. The whole situation is really crappy. I was VERY HAPPY with the TW tunes before I sent it in for a reburn. The econo tune was amazing and it even worked perfect with W85 (waste motor oil) with no smoke.
Feel free to contact me if we can help you out.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I highly recommend Gearhead. Especially since u already have the chip set. Customer service is fantastic. Matt and Lars both answer all the emails, I had a lot and many off subject, within 24hrs. Usually within just a few hours even in the evenings. Tunes are fantastic compared to the PHP tunes I had. Ironically Bill at PHP also has family issues and hence their customer service isn't really all that great either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-02-2013, 02:03 PM

Php has the hydra chip which is capable of holding 17 tunes. I have one and love it. You don't have to remove it to load new tunes cause it has a USB port for loading tunes. Each custom tune is only $25 each.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 PM

FWIW - I have PHP tunes and I will also be shopping elsewhere when I get a re-burn. The first chip that was sent to me went bad and left me (my wife actually but I was following her) stranded. I understand that he doesn't make the chip but I think it could have been handled a lot better after it happened. It just wasn't up to par, and what is odd is that the tunes seemed a little different from one another, like my race tune was more smoky and when I inquired I was told it was the same. I dunno I am still happy with the tunes but there were just too many things that didn't strike me well overall. I was thinking Beans or DP. Sorry to hear about your experience and I totally agree... run your business with transparency and nobody will mind delays if they expect them and you deliver a solid product.
Good luck!
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.