6spd manual vs 4spd Auto? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6spd manual vs 4spd Auto?

I am in the process of upgrading to a 7.3 Superduty, from my 95 OBS 5spd, but I cant decide on which trans I am going to get in my new.....er Truck.

SO.... Looking for facts and a bit of opinion.

I am partial to manual transmission but are only 5-10% of market.

What are the pros and cons, manual vs auto?

Performance:

Daily driving minus being lazy or cant drive stick:

Towing:

Maintenence:

Problems:

Overdrive rpms:
(I know my OBS turns 2500 at 70, and is screaming 3k at 80)

Sticker price of auto vs man:
(how much does it change blue book)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 03:45 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

This is my oppinion of it...

I am getting older and starting to like autos, but I still love manuals.

In the 7.3 trucks, the autos left a lot to be desired and didn't like extra power or heavy loads. The manual is the way to go in these trucks, unless you don't tow a lot or don't plan on adding more power.

with the 6.0 and 6.4's the auto is light years ahead of the previous versions. The 6 spd are still good trannies, but having a reliable auto that can handle towing and power is too hard to resist.

That is why my '97 is manual and our newest trucks are auto. Autos are just easier, but you don't want one that will leave you staranded.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:55 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
OK...so When I was looking for my truck, I didn't really care eitherway. I knew I wanted more power and all, but I've always been of the school of thought that Manuals were faster, at least up until you get to 10seconds or faster in the 1/4.

So, here I am, a few years later and a few grand in mods on the truck (which is pretty heavy) and I'm still in the low 16's! WITH a 6spd! Also, if you do ever seem to break the 6spd, (which I have THREE TIMES) they are much harder to find and cost more for a rebuilt replacement than a nicely performance built auto. Yes, the auto is going to run you a little more $$$ upfront, and some of 'em won't take to mods very well, but just think of the 'what if' factor of the 6spd.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have found my exact truck with an auto tranny. For the near $10,000 I have spent on trannys in the last 2.5 years, I could have one AWESOME auto that would hold up to anything possible AND I would be about a second or two faster at the track AND my left leg wouldn't hurt so much in traffic AND the g/f might actually want to learn to drive the durn thing.

Face it, (I had to) for trucks, an auto is the way to go. Hope I helped.

(Not to mention that getting a decent clutch is going to run you $800 or more and they are a PITA to install!!!!)
Old 03-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My 01 is 6spd and 96 is auto but I wish it was 5spd.
In my personal experience the most dependable heavyduty pickups are Ford diesel manuals......pre 6.0!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditty View Post
OK...so When I was looking for my truck, I didn't really care eitherway. I knew I wanted more power and all, but I've always been of the school of thought that Manuals were faster, at least up until you get to 10seconds or faster in the 1/4.

So, here I am, a few years later and a few grand in mods on the truck (which is pretty heavy) and I'm still in the low 16's! WITH a 6spd! Also, if you do ever seem to break the 6spd, (which I have THREE TIMES) they are much harder to find and cost more for a rebuilt replacement than a nicely performance built auto. Yes, the auto is going to run you a little more $$$ upfront, and some of 'em won't take to mods very well, but just think of the 'what if' factor of the 6spd.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have found my exact truck with an auto tranny. For the near $10,000 I have spent on trannys in the last 2.5 years, I could have one AWESOME auto that would hold up to anything possible AND I would be about a second or two faster at the track AND my left leg wouldn't hurt so much in traffic AND the g/f might actually want to learn to drive the durn thing.

Face it, (I had to) for trucks, an auto is the way to go. Hope I helped.

(Not to mention that getting a decent clutch is going to run you $800 or more and they are a PITA to install!!!!)
Well Ditty, I can understand your point ......but not everyone is trying to make a race car out of a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. If you want to tow big (20,000 Ibs) and you want it to last, and don't drive it like Dale Jr. on the last lap of the Daytona 500 then manual trans is the way to go.

........and my girlfriend DOES drive the 01 6spd....EVERYDAY!!!!

No hard feelings but I have owned/driven 2 (88, 01) Ford diesel manuals and have only put a clutch or 2 in em for several 100k miles.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

I have a manual and I am leaning towards one because I like to drive stick, and think an auto is just boring. Buying a truck with 150,000 plus I like the idea of simplicity, less things to break in a manual. Not going to take it to the track, just want to get on it once in a while. What are the rpms/speed in top gear on a 6spd, because my OBS really screams too high for me down the road, and I feel like the motor is going to explode, and refuse to drive over 75.

I see the stick on a 6spd is L,1,2,3,4,5. Is it just a lower granny gear or is there more on top?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:13 PM

With 35's and 3.73 gears my 250 is @ 1900 RPMs at 60 MPH.

I can squeeze 20 MPG
Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willholl79 View Post
With 35's and 3.73 gears my 250 is @ 1900 RPMs at 60 MPH.

I can squeeze 20 MPG
is the speedo calibrated for the 35s? or you just have them on there?

My truck may have 4.11s not sure, but if thats the case that a 6spd has 3.73, then 70mph would be 2300rpm in my truck.

Last edited by AFBLUE; 03-12-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM

No it's calibrated via a 40hp hypertech programmer. The only reason for the programmer was to correct speedo.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I understand your point. The reason I've gone through three 6spds is 1) The previous owners dogged the crap out of the truck and the bearings were shot soon after I bought it. 2) When my LUK stock replacement clutch went out I installed a SouthBend CONFE and broke the trans cooler line (My fault). And 3) The "new" replacement for it that AAMCO put it failed after about 3K miles. Turns out it was a reman. I'm pretty hard on wear parts like the clutch. My stock one was good for about 170K, then I went with the LUK during tranny #1 and that lasted about a year, a few 4wd launches at the track smoked that bad boy, and I'm now rolling with the SB CONFE and it's AWESOME.

I would suggest that if you are going to get the manual, at least get a short shift kit for it. I've heard GREAT things. They are a little pricey but I haven't heard a bad thing about any of them...except price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.