need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation need advice

I am 17 I have a 1999 ford powerstroke nice truck, and a 1997 dodge dakota I have paid for both trucks myself I work on a dairy farm. I have let my ford sit because of the out ragious fuel prices its bull **** but should I sell my ford and just bank what I make so since in that thing sitting in the drive way costing me money right???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 PM
one day at a time

Fuel prices are biting a lot of us dude... But if I had a paid off powerstroke I wouldn't be near as worried about what fuel costs. I'd keep it, get rid of the dodge and use that money for fuel and mods!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke Techie

It makes no logical sense what so ever to have a diesel truck anymore. My dad has a f-350 with the V-10 and giving the difference in fuel price his is more economical than mine. Then when you factor in the cost of the diesel engine, cost of parts, 4 gallons of oil, etc, etc. All that makes the gas burner way cheaper to operate. Also no wait to start, no cool down period for the turbo, and you can have a conversation without yelling.

When I bought my truck it was cheaper to drive it than my little ford ranger, gas was around $1.80, diesel was around $1.30. Now I have the diesel addiction and can’t make myself drive a gasser no matter how logical it is. If you can break the addiction while you’re young then go for it...... I gotta go smoke a cigarette and finish putting my new Dominator turbo in.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafrog View Post
It makes no logical sense what so ever to have a diesel truck anymore. My dad has a f-350 with the V-10 and giving the difference in fuel price his is more economical than mine. Then when you factor in the cost of the diesel engine, cost of parts, 4 gallons of oil, etc, etc. All that makes the gas burner way cheaper to operate. Also no wait to start, no cool down period for the turbo, and you can have a conversation without yelling.

When I bought my truck it was cheaper to drive it than my little ford ranger, gas was around $1.80, diesel was around $1.30. Now I have the diesel addiction and can’t make myself drive a gasser no matter how logical it is. If you can break the addiction while you’re young then go for it...... I gotta go smoke a cigarette and finish putting my new Dominator turbo in.
What you say is true, kinda... yea if you are a daily driver pulling nothing cruzing to work then yes it makes no sense to have a diesel. but if you do any towing, diesel is the way to go! I am also like you, i got the diesel addiction and you will never find me in a truck that is not a diesel yea they cost more but they will last longer and pull harder and keep a higher resale value. you know what they say, you gotta pay to play!

I would bet that if you watch the market there will be LOTS of diesels being sold and people will slow down buying them cause of the price of fuel and it will become a buyers market (just like the houses in america). now i just wish my ESPN told me this since I have only had mine for 6 months and I am sure that the sale price will fall pretty fast on diesels. I would probably have saved a few thousand bucks on my truck. I might be in the market for a 7.3 excursion pretty soon if the prices continue to fall
Old 03-11-2008, 05:36 AM

O and the other messed up part!?!? i have a bunch of money in mutual funds that deal with oil, gas, and fuel and they are hardly up. WTF is that about? last time (a year ago ish) when the prices started to climb, so did the price of my fund and i made some bank off them. at that point i was ok with the prices going up. now they are going up and i am not making money. what is up with that?!?!

</rant>

o and to answer your question that started this thread, keep the diesel and take care of it. they are beasts! sell that little toy truck and enjoy the diesel
Old 03-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower99 View Post
I am 17 I have a 1999 ford powerstroke nice truck, and a 1997 dodge dakota I have paid for both trucks myself I work on a dairy farm. I have let my ford sit because of the out ragious fuel prices its bull **** but should I sell my ford and just bank what I make so since in that thing sitting in the drive way costing me money right???

If it is paid off I would keep it. If you are making payments SELL IT!!! (but don't take a bath on it) The the cash and invest it. You may be running around in a loser cruiser Dodge now, but when you have a big a** house of your own and all the nice things you want ten years down the road you will be much happier.
Then you can point and laugh at all your friends with all their debt and say, "Look at me...I guess I am not such a loser anymore!" (trust me, I am that guy)
As Dave Ramsey says, "You must live like no other today; So you can live like no other tomorrow!"
Old 03-11-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflem849 View Post
If it is paid off I would keep it. If you are making payments SELL IT!!! (but don't take a bath on it) The the cash and invest it. You may be running around in a loser cruiser Dodge now, but when you have a big a** house of your own and all the nice things you want ten years down the road you will be much happier.
Then you can point and laugh at all your friends with all their debt and say, "Look at me...I guess I am not such a loser anymore!" (trust me, I am that guy)
As Dave Ramsey says, "You must live like no other today; So you can live like no other tomorrow!"
Hahahaha i am that guy too! working my butt off at 15 and no debt. I am now 24 with all my toys and a house! my only debt is my truck, my house and a few k left on the car! all my other friends from high school and college are still living at home with mom and dad and i get to point and laugh and say who is the looser now! its so worth it
Old 03-11-2008, 06:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
Hahahaha i am that guy too! working my butt off at 15 and no debt. I am now 24 with all my toys and a house! my only debt is my truck, my house and a few k left on the car! all my other friends from high school and college are still living at home with mom and dad and i get to point and laugh and say who is the looser now! its so worth it
I am even worse!!! I didn't even have a credit score at 23 years old!!!!! I NEVER HAD A LOAN. If I couldn't pay cash I didn't buy it. That is the reason I got my truck, I went to buy a house and couldn't get it with 20k in the bank!!!!! They said I needed a credit score to get a loan. I said, "shouldn't it be even better to have never had to get a loan..."
Old 03-11-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflem849 View Post
I am even worse!!! I didn't even have a credit score at 23 years old!!!!! I NEVER HAD A LOAN. If I couldn't pay cash I didn't buy it. That is the reason I got my truck, I went to buy a house and couldn't get it with 20k in the bank!!!!! They said I needed a credit score to get a loan. I said, "shouldn't it be even better to have never had to get a loan..."
Yea at 17 I was studying about how that all worked and I would pay for something on a cc then pay it off in 1 or 2 months to show the world that I was responsible. It sucks that you have to pay a little interest to prove that you are a good risk. But I kept my balances really low. And that paid off for me when I went to buy my house. Another thing that bites you in the arss is having too much available credit. If you have 5 credit cards all with zero balances yet they all have a limit of 15 to 20k they see that as a high risk because you might spend it, even tho you have no previous record of doing that…. o well those credit scores are all a mystery to me!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 AM

My truck is all paid off, but I just can't seem to find it in me to give it up. I am just going to find a motorcycle to get around on for the most part, and use my truck when I need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.