Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wanting to lower my truck

1K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  todd 
#1 ·
Well with the way fuel is going I have decided to do some things to help my truck get better mileage. I have noticed my truck sits about 2 inchs higher than other superdutys, it has 3 leafs up front and I believe 5 in the back. I am going to 235/85/16 and I know that they will look funny the way it sits now (my 285/75/16s look perfect) so what would I need to do to lower my truck atleast back to stock? What about lowering it 2 inches lower than stock? How hard would this be and does anyone make a kit?

#2 ·
i would like to lower my truck also. i noticed theres a member on here by the name of lowstroke and his truck is lowered with djm lowering kit. maybe he can help us.

#3 ·
I don't imagine it will pay off short term, but if I was able to get 3-4mpg better and with the way diesel keeps going up it could make a big difference. I can only manage around 15 now. Anything has to help...

#9 ·
I bet 100% of his economy came from the 3.08's instead of the detuner, could be wrong though.

I want a two speed differential, lol. One with 3.08's for hwy speeds and one with 3.73 or 4.10's for towing/in town driving.

#6 ·
I already have a TW chip with the economy tune, but haven't had a chance to really try it yet. I here many people say they can get 18-20 mpg. They are almost all running a stock setup. I think the weight difference, rolling resistance difference, and better airodynamics could increase mpg quite a bit. My truck is a 4wd though. Maybe I need to just do something custom up and post the results, there is a guy on powerstrokenation claiming 24-26mpg with a 6sp lowered 2wd truck on 235/85/16's...

#7 ·
2 wheel drive makes a big difference and a 6 speed helps too. have you tried keepin it under 2000rpm's? try doin under 65 and that should help you out also.

#8 ·
I realize he has a big advantage over me with the 2 wheel drive and a 6sp, but he is getting 9-11 mpg more than me. I really don't think there should be that big of difference. By reducing some drag there could be some possible mileage changes, I am going to have to pay my local spring shop a visit and see what they can do for me

#11 ·
a few things one thats the same amount of spings i have and mines not lifted and with 285's looking perfect id say your not lifted either ive 295's which are a little taller on mine and theyre a perfect fit id say you probally just have a leveling kit on the front and i truely feel that if you switch to 235's your milage will either stay the same or drop because your going to be turning higher rpms to run the down the road due to the smaller tires and the higher rpm's kill the milage on a psd instead lowering and new tires spend the money on a 3:55 gear set or a gear vendors double overdrive kit to lower your rpms and that will raise your milage

#14 ·
I will probably purchase one, some day. Just purchased my S&B intake and MBRP 4" exhaust, so someone might get mad if I drop $3k anytime soon.

#16 ·
I don't really want to argue the point of my truck being lifted, but on the door sticker it says the original tires were 235/85/16. I have contacted the dealer and they said my truck should only have 2 leafs upfont, but we all know how some dealers can be. I guess where I am going is that I dont see how a 285/75 would do better than a 235/85. The 285 has a 2 inch wider section width and only about 3.5 inch larger circumference not to mention it is a heavier tire.

#17 ·
2 leafs stock the 3rd is the leveling kit i mentioned and the 2"wider and 3.5" dia is why i say it may stay the same youll have less rolling resistance with the 235 but higher rpm so i think theyd cancel each other out and stay the same if not get worse and as far as stock i thought they came with 265 all mine have anyway but if thats what your sticker says then it probally did for some reason

#18 ·
Well I think I will remove some leafs and try the 235's and post up my results. Atleast they are a chep tire. I will be gaining 21 revolutions per mile with the 235's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.