Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I think I Blew my turbo

2K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  strokin_early_99 
#1 ·
Well looks like I finally blew my factory turbo on the way to work last night. It has been kinda howling instead of whistling for a few months now. On the way to work tonight I stopped at a light and noticed lots of blue smoke puffing from the exhaust. I was leaving a pretty good trail but I still had good boost. Well a Duramax passed me and I couldn’t help myself, I flipped the chip and floored it, heard a very bad noise and then I had 0 boost and chugging lots of blue smoke and no power. I’m fixing to leave work and try to make it home then call Beans and order a D-66.

#2 ·
let us know how you like the d66. I am sorry to hear of your mishap.
good luck

#3 ·
Thats to bad bud. Oh Well, gives you an excuse to put the D66 in right.

#4 ·
Betcha he's on his forum talkin about how the Ford tripped on it's face like that.

Gotta be the one of the worst times for it to go lol :icon_ford:

#5 ·
Well I made it home, left a very thick blue fog all the way through town. Took the intake off and I can wiggle the impeller, feels like the shaft is broken. Called Beans and he said he would ship it right out, should get it Monday. Now I just got to figure out how to fix the stripped bolt in the up-pipe Y collector while I’m changing the turbo and I’ll probably try to remove the EBPV and delete the EBPV actuator in the pedestal too.

#7 ·
Supposed to flow like 30% more than stock and hold 40 psi boost without breaking, my last stock one was around $700 and the D-66 is $1350. As far as I can tell it is the only aftermarket turbo that will fit on my early 99 without changing lots of stuff. Its the one at the bottom of this page 99-03turbo

#9 ·
Naw.. that ain't expensive at all! Great turbo option for the early 99's!

Expensive is TN BB, Injectors, Tranny, and new motor in 3 months :doh:

Alabama - which bolt is stripped in the collector? I might be able to help you out there.

#10 ·
Did I see tranny in that post?

I must me seeing things.
Bama - i'm sure you'll wish you had upgraded a long time ago.

#12 ·
Well, this aint going good, I can’t get the bolts loose in the down pipe flange, they are 8mm 12p, 5/16 is slightly smaller so I'm using 5/16 wrenches and I have broke two craftsman wrenches and haven’t gotten any of the bolts to break loose. I’m now trying to find a Snapon or Mac dealer near me and try to find a 3/8 or ½ drive 5/16 12pt socket I can use on my impact but I think the bolt heads will strip or the socket will break. Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

#13 ·
i'm going to throw the obvious one out there...Have you tried soaking it repetedly with PB Blaster???

Just a thought, don't know if it will help, but at least this will bump it up for ya. :thumb:

Good Luck!

#14 ·
I just got off the phone with you about this, PB blaster, walk away or go get a 12pt socket and a breaker bar!

Even, steady, correct pressure will make them come loose. Plus, giving it a break and trying again later usually works on stubborn things anyway.

#16 ·
I finally got the bolts out, after messing with it and calling all over town for hours I went to my tool box and started looking through it. I found a Craftsman rounded off bolt extractor set the wife bought me for Christmas. It works just like an ezout but OD instead of ID. The turbo bolts have a small head but a larger flange, I used the extractor that fit the flange and a 10” crescent with cheater pipe and all of the bolts came out easily. Thanks to Maintain for getting me to leave it alone for a little while and start fresh.

#17 ·
This thing is really starting to tick me off. I finally got everything back together and idled it a while then took it out for a test drive. I ran it in stock for a while and the boost never got over 18 psi. So now I’m feeling like everything is warm and has had time to get happy, so I flip the chip up and get on it. I immediately hear a loud pop followed by squalling, rushing air noise. I baby it back home and I have pulled off both IC tubes and the spider looking for a blown boot. All 6 boots look good and I can’t see any cracks in them. What the crap happened???? Any ideas?

#21 ·
When I put it all back together the problem went away. All we can figure is that one of the clamps wasn’t on just right. All is good now, thanks folks.

#23 ·
I’m not sure yet, haven’t had much time to drive it. I took lots of pics of the swap out and my broken turbo I’ll post up later along with a more detailed review.

#24 ·
Keep us updated on how it does for you. I loved mine when I had one.

#25 ·
i will be following up on how you like it as well .. for some reason I feel the need to know your thoughts on it ..lol

#26 ·
cool. how do you like the new screamer?

#27 ·
Let us know how you like the D66. Do you do any towing? I pull quit a bit and my stock turbo goes nuts. It surges like none other ever since i started changing things, so i am looking at something different and the D66 seems to be a good deal for the money. And i also here that Bean takes care of people. :thumb: Glad to here you got it going again. Cant wait to see your review on the swap too.

#28 ·
I could get the D66 to surge but it was only after I put in the B code injectors and was holding 28psi with a load. Then I would either let up a little or drive through the surge. It would go away at 26psi and/or 30psi. Only at 28psi would it talk to me. Darn good turbo, EGT's always stayed in check and I towed a lot with it. I would still have it if the HP bug did not bite me like it did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.