Mileage loss, Trip Computer acting weird - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mileage loss, Trip Computer acting weird

Hi, I am new to this forum. There is lots of knowledge here and answers to most of my questions. I currently owned a 2001 chevy 2500 crewcab longbed truck. 10 to 11 miles per gallon of gas. Sold it a month ago and bought a 2003 ford F250 7.3 liter diesel crew cab longbed a week ago with 54,125 miles. I changed from gas to diesel to save money on fuel costs, knowing that the ford diesel can run biodiesel, which I can actually make myself, from free used cooking oils, or purchase from a guy in a warehouse for $3.45 a gallon, made from soy oil.

I purchased the vehicle about 300 miles from my home. I filled the truck with diesel fuel over in clearwater florida. Drove to Miami, florida. The ride was real nice, and smooth for being a diesel, atleast compared to my chevy pickup. The trip Computer said 530 miles to empty. Wow I can actually get 530 miles a tank, thats frigin awesome I said compared to my gas guzzling chevy at 375 miles a tank. Well not sure if I really got 530 miles. I filled up 30 gallons a few days later with B99 bio-diesel. Drove it till almost empty and only got 420 miles.

The trip computer started to change after getting near 145 miles to empty. Thats what it read that night. The next day it read 60 miles till empty. Really weird, I was like damn, I thougth I was going to save money. After driving it for 30 to 45 minutes, the trip computer read 120 miles left and the fuel gauge was below a quarter tank. "I said to myself, do I really have 120 miles left." Well weirdly as it happened before, the trip computer read 45 miles till empty. Paying more attention to the Fuel gauge I kept driving the truck. Now the trip computer ready 0 miles till empty. But the truck was not empty, it wasn't even touching the E mark. I thought maybe my driveway has a decline, and the way I parked it might of changed the miles left, lol, so I parked it the other way, nothing happened.

Filled up with bio-diesel again with 33.6 gallons. The Trip Computer reads 420 miles till empty. Wow, that is a big difference reading 530 miles till empty when I bought it. My friend has a '97 ford 7.3 liter and runs the bio-diesel and he got 580 miles on his 2 tanks totalling 36 gallons. He also changed his Fuel filter and he has a k&n air filter and 4in pipe exhaust and maybe a chip upgrade not sure. I have stock everything. I know that the b99 bio-diesel will clean out my tank and lines.

Changing the fuel filter fix my mileage problem? And maybe upgrading the stock air filter? Also what is wrong with my trip computer? Is it from the guy overfilling the truck with bio-diesel? I plan on changing my fuel filter. Is there anything not so expensive that I can purchase to help with mileage?
Please leave your comments..

Thanks,
bookemdano

Ps. Hawaii Five-0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My trip computer use to be really close on the MPG till I installed my EVO2. Now it’s off about 7 to 10 MPG. I never really trusted any computer on the miles to empty in any car I have ever driven. I always fill up at 1/4 full. But that is just how I roll.

Many people talk about the trip computers on here being worth nothing. Many call them the lie-o-meter and other terms. I would just ignore it, fill up and hand calculate the MPG (miles traveled/gal used) and get use to what your truck will do. Then you will get a feel for how your truck will react.

Now with my evo, I really only use the overhead computer to tell me the outside temp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.