OBS Stroke Help. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 905
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS Stroke Help.

So we have two 95 powerstrokes.And they both do this. When the truck is cold it goes into like a "sluggish" mode. Does anybody know what this is? Its when you are lighty getting on it, just enough to get going. (the truck is still cold). But if you get on it a little harder it will kick in and run like normal. Its as if the turbo is turned off???? Only happens when the truck is cold. Any help would be great.

Also was wondering what the difference is between the OBS 7.3s and the newer ones as far as glow plugs and what not. How come my 03 7.3 will start right up in any weather, but the OBS's seem to always need to be plugged in once it gets below like 40???? What did they change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,026
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
it's your EBPV (exhaust back pressure valve) kicking in. the computer has control over a valve on the exhaust side your turbo. when engine is cold, the valve close to make the engine work harder, the theory is to make the engine heat up faster. i disconnected my EBPV so i don't have that problem anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerboy73 View Post
So we have two 95 powerstrokes.And they both do this. When the truck is cold it goes into like a "sluggish" mode. Does anybody know what this is? Its when you are lighty getting on it, just enough to get going. (the truck is still cold). But if you get on it a little harder it will kick in and run like normal. Its as if the turbo is turned off???? Only happens when the truck is cold. Any help would be great.

Also was wondering what the difference is between the OBS 7.3s and the newer ones as far as glow plugs and what not. How come my 03 7.3 will start right up in any weather, but the OBS's seem to always need to be plugged in once it gets below like 40???? What did they change?
you could have a few things going on....

the sluggishness is normal...to a point...

the glow plug systems are identical....UNLESS your 03 is a california emission truck...then it has a module to controll the glow plugs instead of a relay.....

Honestly if i was you....the first thing i would do would be to update the injector o rings to the new style...

if you want to check to see if the injector o rings are the problem....pull the fuel filter out...and check the bottom of the fuel bowl for some black...sludgy stuff....(be carefull...that sludgy stuff is actually pretty toxic)....

u could also have a few bad glow plugs or bad glow plug relay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 905
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
you could have a few things going on....

the sluggishness is normal...to a point...

the glow plug systems are identical....UNLESS your 03 is a california emission truck...then it has a module to controll the glow plugs instead of a relay.....

Honestly if i was you....the first thing i would do would be to update the injector o rings to the new style...

if you want to check to see if the injector o rings are the problem....pull the fuel filter out...and check the bottom of the fuel bowl for some black...sludgy stuff....(be carefull...that sludgy stuff is actually pretty toxic)....

u could also have a few bad glow plugs or bad glow plug relay...
Alright. well my dads has 430k and the new one has 128k. so i will have to look into the o rings. What does the old o ring style do, make for harder starts???

And the glow plug systems are identical??? WOW!!! Well is there any other reason that the OBS's start harder???/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 905
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldghamr View Post
it's your EBPV (exhaust back pressure valve) kicking in. the computer has control over a valve on the exhaust side your turbo. when engine is cold, the valve close to make the engine work harder, the theory is to make the engine heat up faster. i disconnected my EBPV so i don't have that problem anymore.
the OBS have this??? And why disconnect it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerboy73 View Post
Alright. well my dads has 430k and the new one has 128k. so i will have to look into the o rings. What does the old o ring style do, make for harder starts???

And the glow plug systems are identical??? WOW!!! Well is there any other reason that the OBS's start harder???/
the o rings just wear out...and get brittle and hard, sometimes the vibration of the motor causes them to be damaged....then the high pressure oil pressure escapes past the o rings......or the fuel pressure escapes past them...

ford updated the o rings a few years back and that made a big difference.....

With that milage i would DEFINATELY do it on your dads...and i would check yours out and consider replacing yours too....high milage trucks...and trucks that sat without being started for a long period of time are more prone to the failure....

I would also test the glow plugs and glow plug relay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 905
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
the o rings just wear out...and get brittle and hard, sometimes the vibration of the motor causes them to be damaged....then the high pressure oil pressure escapes past the o rings......or the fuel pressure escapes past them...

ford updated the o rings a few years back and that made a big difference.....

With that milage i would DEFINATELY do it on your dads...and i would check yours out and consider replacing yours too....high milage trucks...and trucks that sat without being started for a long period of time are more prone to the failure....

I would also test the glow plugs and glow plug relay...

Alright. Do the 03 7.3s have the updated o rings???? and we are not sure if we wanted to do anything with the injectors on my dads. Dont want to blow it up. lol. he keeps saying that he thinks it is getting "weak". could the o rings also be a part of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerboy73 View Post
Alright. Do the 03 7.3s have the updated o rings???? and we are not sure if we wanted to do anything with the injectors on my dads. Dont want to blow it up. lol. he keeps saying that he thinks it is getting "weak". could the o rings also be a part of this?
all 02 and 03 (and some 01) trucks have the updated o rings.....

Yes...the o rings could definately make a motor feel weak......and it also is affecting fuel economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 905
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
all 02 and 03 (and some 01) trucks have the updated o rings.....

Yes...the o rings could definately make a motor feel weak......and it also is affecting fuel economy
alright. how bad are they to do? do you have to pull the injectors i take it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Farmersville, Ohio
Posts: 775
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
do you have a link to the new o rings? I have 218k on my 97 and prolly wouldnt hurt to do that on it with updating the o rings. Mine used to start hard and then i put new glow plugs in and it starts great now but i still plug it in when it gets below 35-40 at night still though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors