Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

need some help on fuel filter

810 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SCUFFY828 
#1 ·
hey guys, i have an 01 f-250 with the 7.3 litre and im doing alot of maintenance to her right now since shes at 113,000 miles. ive got through pretty much everything except the fuel part. i want to change everything that needs to be changed fuel wise. i had the fuel/water seperator thats on the top of the motor replaced by ford because it started leaking fuel. my question is.....where the heck is the fuel filter??? and is there any other steps i should do for scheduled maintenance to the fuel aspect of the truck? my buddy said he used some sort of spray that he sprayed in the intake of his diesel to clean the injectors,etc. any suggestions would be great! thanks guys! josh

#2 ·
the fuel filter is right on top your engine right above the fuel/water seporator.. you have a cover that says powerstroke on it(or should) its RIGHT under/behind that. its round with fins on it so you can twist it. haha... you opened up a can with that spray to clean stuff...... do some readin on here theres ALOT of info on here about that and someone will give you a link to that write-up on lube and additives...

#3 ·
The fuel filter is on top of the motor. There is a black cover on the front of the motor. Behind that cover is a reservoir that should have a black cap on it. You need to turn the black cap counter clockwise and take it off. If you bought a factory filter it will come with new o-rings. Make sure to remove the old o-rings from the cap and install the new ones. If you bought an aftermarket filter, the cap is probably attatched to it. This is fine to use, but don't throw your factory cap away. You might need it some day, + the cap is like $60 or $70 from the dealer.

#5 ·
there is nothing you can spray in the intake to clean the injectors ,all you can do is trash the engine by spraying something in it , there are some cleaners you canbuy to add to the fuel, in my opinion ,they really dont work either, but thats my opinion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.