01 getting hot, and dont know why! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 12:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 getting hot, and dont know why!

this winter stock up-pipes started leaking bad so i had to get them fixed and decided i wanted to give it a little make over at the same time and this is what it consisted of.....

international stainless bellowed up-pipes
k&n cold air intake
38r turbo
cfm intake
stiffer fuel spring
full turbo back 4in straight
php retuned chip
t500 hpop
cts insight

i still have stock injectors. i also still wanna add a boost fooler. ill end up doing new injectors at some point but have yet.

most of what i added i thought would help lower egts, but i still run right through the 1200's, 1300's, and right into the 1400's. i was doing a 1/4 mile time with my performance part on my cts so i couldnt c my egts and afterwards i go back and c that my max recorded egt was 1510!!!!! ive recently considered a water/meth kit to help with the heat but i feel it shouldnt be high to begin with, am i correct? and also its only on the 140hp tune, the 75 daily driver and 75 tow tunes are fine. the 100hp race starts to get warm as well

fuel psi is like 115psi
icp at wot is about 3000psi

the truck has 225,000 and starts fine and runs fine, just dont know why its getting hot. also i feel like it should have a llittle more top end than it does, perhaps the boost fooler well help that...im hoping.

any ideas guys?!

Last edited by LJT; 05-15-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
so heres the whole story,

i bought this my 01 f250 last october. it had 218000 miles on it and had a k&n cold air intake, ts 6pos. chip and a catback 4 in exhaust.

this winter stock up-pipes started leaking bad so i had to get them fixed and decided i wanted to give it a little make over at the same time and this is what it consisted of.....

international stainless bellowed up-pipes
38r turbo
cfm intake
stiffer fuel spring
full turbo back 4in straight
php retuned chip
t500 hpop
cts insight

i still have stock injectors. i also still wanna add a boost fooler. ill end up doing new injectors at some point but have yet.

most of what i added i thought would help lower egts, but i still run right through the 1200's, 1300's, and right into the 1400's. i was doing a 1/4 mile time with my performance part on my cts so i couldnt c my egts and afterwards i go back and c that my max recorded egt was 1510!!!!! ive recently considered a water/meth kit to help with the heat but i feel it shouldnt be high to begin with, am i correct? and also its only on the 140hp tune, the 75 daily driver and 75 tow tunes are fine. the 100hp race starts to get warm as well

fuel psi is like 115psi
icp at wot is about 3000psi

the truck starts fine and runs fine, just dont know why its getting hot. also i feel like it should have a llittle more top end than it does, perhaps the boost fooler well help that...im hoping.

any ideas guys?!
There are many reasons for high EGT's. The first thing to check would be for any boost leaks. Your tuning may need adjustment as well.

Your fuel pressure is WAY to high. Ideally it should be around 65psi.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

heres my baby!
Attached Thumbnails
01 getting hot, and dont know why!-2012-09-25-19.23.09.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
There are many reasons for high EGT's. The first thing to check would be for any boost leaks. Your tuning may need adjustment as well.

Your fuel pressure is WAY to high. Ideally it should be around 65psi.
cant find any boost leaks, none from up-pipes.

i also at the same time put a bd boot kit on and they are holding strong as well.

would that fuel psi cause high egts?

php tunes get great reviews, seems weird why they wouldnt work on my truck
Old 05-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

nothing???
Old 05-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
cant find any boost leaks, none from up-pipes.

i also at the same time put a bd boot kit on and they are holding strong as well.

would that fuel psi cause high egts?

php tunes get great reviews, seems weird why they wouldnt work on my truck
Did you pressurize the system to confirm that there are no leaks?

High fuel pressure will not cause high EGT's necessarily, but it will take a toll on the injection system. Try putting the stock spring back in and monitor your pressure. Maybe your gauge is just defective?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
Did you pressurize the system to confirm that there are no leaks?

High fuel pressure will not cause high EGT's necessarily, but it will take a toll on the injection system. Try putting the stock spring back in and monitor your pressure. Maybe your gauge is just defective?
Justin,

I have not pressurized the system. All ive done was during warm up before everything is hot just feeling with my hands around all the seams. So to the best of my knowledge it isn't leaking. Whats the procedure to actually pressurizing it to make absolutely sure?

I don't think I have the stock fuel spring anymore! haha, I think I threw it away. I don't think the gauge was defective, although its possible. The one that was used was out of a very expensive fuel system pressure test kit. I drilled and tapped a hole on the top of my fuel filter and threaded it into that. So at that point the gauge was showing over 100psi. Obviously a new filter was put back in when the testing was done.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

this is the spring that I put in, a local diesel shop turned me onto this product.

GDS Fuel Spring
Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Justin,

I have not pressurized the system. All ive done was during warm up before everything is hot just feeling with my hands around all the seams. So to the best of my knowledge it isn't leaking. Whats the procedure to actually pressurizing it to make absolutely sure?

I don't think I have the stock fuel spring anymore! haha, I think I threw it away. I don't think the gauge was defective, although its possible. The one that was used was out of a very expensive fuel system pressure test kit. I drilled and tapped a hole on the top of my fuel filter and threaded it into that. So at that point the gauge was showing over 100psi. Obviously a new filter was put back in when the testing was done.
The best way to do it is to use shop air. Google "boost leak test" and you will get results showing you the procedure. Here is also a video to show you how.

The spring may also be installed wrong. If it is not seated properly you will get undesirable pressures as well.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

o man, that's probably one of the simplest things ever! thanks for the vid Justin.

95-110 psi is right were the spring was designed to put the fuel pressure. I called the guys at GDS and they said 100+ psi is normal and right where you want it. Hmmmmmmm????

What part of the injection system is gonna get beat up by that amount of psi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.