The Bit Red Rebuild - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The Big Red Rebuild

Well this sucks! A month or so ago I was turning to get on the freeway and just as I started to accelerate I hear this WHAP-WHAP-WHAP-WHAP sound from the engine. I pulled over right away and shut the motor off to get out to look for oil dripping or bits hanging out the side of the block. Didn't see anything. Looks like the sound was more like CRAP-CRAP-CRAP-CRAP! I thought I'd try to start it to see if I could get a better idea what was going on from outside the truck. Unfortunately, when I turned the motor over it locked up solid. Nothing to do but call the ambulance. Fortunately I've got a kick *** towing addendum on my insurance. So I had it towed home and started planning.

When it happened it sounded to me like it dropped a valve. It took me a few days, but I finally got everything off the front of the truck and got access to the motor. The kid next door gave me a hand pulling the motor and that's when I got my first glimpse of what happened. That big lump on the side of the oil pan was my first clue. Once I got the pan off, (what a PITA that was), I confirmed what I already knew, I threw a rod. (Actually, it looks more like a rod bolt broke). Now I had to take the rest of the engine apart to see what else got damaged in the melee.

This is kind of a slow process for me since I'm old, fat, in poor health, and generally slow to begin with. but I finally got the heads off and started pulling pistons. The hole with the broken rod, #4, had a couple of nice smiles on top of the piston where the valves hit, but it doesn't look like there's any visible damage to the head itself. Gonna have to change the two valves of course. What I was most worried about was if the block got damaged. Again, fortunately, it looks like I dodged a bullet there. There's a minor burr on the bottom of the cylinder, but I wouldn't characterize it as much more than a scratch. It probably happened when I tried to re-start the engine and it locked up. I'm going to magnaflux the block anyway, just to be safe.

Here's what the bottom of the rod looked like:

The crank journal looks a little scarred, but nothing that won't turn out. All in all, I think I got lucky. I certainly could have totaled the whole motor. Looks like I can repair it.

Here's what's broken:
#4 Piston/Rod
#4 Crank Journal
1 Rocker Arm
#4 Int/Exh Valve
Both Pushrods, (I think)
Oil Pan

What I plan to do:

Magnaflux the block and the one head
Hone all Cyl's
Replace the two valves
New valve seals, all valves
New Rocker arm and two pushrods
New Piston/Rod/Wrist Pin
ARP Rod Bolts, 8 cyl's
New Rings 8 cyl's
New Main/Rod/Cam Bearings
Full Gasket Set
New Oil Cooler
New Glow Plugs
Oil Pan (Anyone have a used one for sale?)

Possible parts to replace:
All injectors
Low pressure oil pump

I've built a lot of gas engines in my day, but this is my first diesel. Is there anything you think I'm missing on my list of things to do/replace?

Any advice, gotcha's to watch out for, shortcuts I should know about? I really can't afford to do this wrong. I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Last edited by MKeeney; 05-14-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.