Need to remove welded-on gooseneck mount - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need to remove welded-on gooseneck mount

I have a '99 F250 and absolutely love it. This thing is the truck of my dreams.

But before it was mine, it was a Texas truck, and like many Texas trucks, it has a gooseneck hitch in the bed. I never minded it before, but now that I need to remove it to make room for a fifth wheel hitch, I've discovered that also like many Texas trucks, some idiot welded the gooseneck mount to the frame rails. It's not a big thing, just four small spot welds. But what a pain in the neck!

Unfortunately ignoring it is not an option since I need to use this truck to pull a fifth wheel and the location of the gooseneck mount prevents the installation of a fifth wheel hitch.

So since this seems to be a not-uncommon occurrence, I was wondering how people deal with it. Just got at the welds with an angle grinder? Any safety tips? I'm reasonably confident that I can avoid sawing my frame in two but don't want to take any unnecessary risks with my baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Not too good of an idea to bash Texans as there are a lot of us on this forum, especially for your first post captain jack. Myself and other fellow Texans I know didn't weld our goosenecks in, and what's the b!tching for if its only 4 fvckin spot welds jack??

Put some vagiseal down around where your nuts should be, let it set over night, then in the morning your balls should be back and u can get out ur grinder and grind off the 4 spot welds

From Texas
Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

LOL....just WOW. Open mouth incert foot. If you need to ask how to grind a couple spot welds off you should prolly be asking for instructions on how to place a for sale sign in the window of that truck.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Dang mts coming in hot with guns blazing

I didnt read that as necessarily a hostile post towards Texans but mts set the tone. OP, dont get discouraged after your first post. Grind it off, use preventative rust measures and call it a day. Feel free to post up photos of your rig and start thinking of making a signature.

Congrats on your rig

Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 AM

Calm down mts... being from West Virginia I am used to people automaticly thinking I'm a hillbilly. But I also dont take offence every possible refrence to hillbillys. The op is asking a question... answer it dont assume he's attacking you personally. Your responce comes across like you ARE I fact one of the people the op was refering to.

Chill out dude...

Op... carefully grind out the welds... paint the bare metal... install yer new hitch... go tow something! Watch out for easily offended texans.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
Calm down mts... being from West Virginia I am used to people automaticly thinking I'm a hillbilly. But I also dont take offence every possible refrence to hillbillys. The op is asking a question... answer it dont assume he's attacking you personally. Your responce comes across like you ARE I fact one of the people the op was refering to.

Chill out dude...

Op... carefully grind out the welds... paint the bare metal... install yer new hitch... go tow something! Watch out for easily offended texans.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Your absolutely right sir. The to the OP I apologize, but just a heads up for a first post I wouldn't phrase anything that like that.

Grind out the welds, you might need a cutting wheel to get down to where the weld really adheres to the frame, possibly an air hammer would help you out too. Scuff and paint the bare metal and install the new hitch. I installed my b&w hitch by myself, never done one before, it wasn't too bad- took about 2.5 hours for me. Let us know how we can help you out. Again, I apologize.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 AM

I grew up in Texas, and I think it's completely idiotic how a lot of people will cheap out on something so important and just weld a bunch of crap together and hope it works. Just ignorance is all it is. Spend the money and buy something that you don't have to weld.
Anyway, just grind it all off and cut it up however you gotta.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Emergency Services

Isn't there a gooseneck to 5er adaptor I saw somewhere online?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I'd just weld the 5th wheel hitch to the goose neck hitch and call it a day. That way it's on there double good.

But really, just grind off the welds and press on. As long as you're not stupid, you won't damage the frame at all.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:27 AM

I would never use a 5th wheel to GN adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.