Engine won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine won't start

I have a 2001 f250 7.3 and when I tried to start my her up all I hear is a click and nothing happens. This is the first time that this has happened and its not the battery, all the lights/switches work, I tried jumping her just incase but nothing. Any help would be nice, she's parked outside of my work and I'm just hoping she won't get towed anytime soon..

Also when I turn the ignition I hear the clicking noise coming from around this area in the pic below. Again, thanks for any help!
Engine won't start-imageuploadedbyautoguide1368258248.791158.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Have you had the starter tested?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No I haven't, how would I do that? This just happened about an hour ago, and I'm not too mechanically inclined..
Old 05-11-2013, 12:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j90reaper View Post
No I haven't, how would I do that? This just happened about an hour ago, and I'm not too mechanically inclined..
Any auto parts store can do it. Take the starter off and bring it down to them. They will put it on a bench tester.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any tips for me when taking out the starter ? And what tools will I need
Old 05-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Turn the Headlights ON, roll the key to Start. Do they dim or seem unaffected?

Before removing the starter I would jump the starter relay on the pass fenderwell (IF you have one, some'01's DO, some DON'T)

I would also "rap" the starter with a hammer several times and try again before I pulled the starter, it often "cures" (temporarily) a bad starter and a good indication you're problem is there...
Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The headlights do not dim, and where exactly is the starter or what does it look like... Haha (I'm gonna get **** for this haha) and what do you mean by "rap"? How would I go about doing so?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j90reaper View Post
The headlights do not dim, and where exactly is the starter or what does it look like... Haha (I'm gonna get **** for this haha) and what do you mean by "rap"? How would I go about doing so?
If your headlights do not dim when you try to crank it is most likely not the starter.

I would check the starter relay as well as it sounds like it is not letting power through.

The starter itself is on the passenger side of the engine near the oil pan towards the rear of the engine.

I believe he means to tap on the starter with the hammer to break anything loose that might be causing it to stick or to temporarily disturb failing parts causing them to work.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

She started!! I put her in neutral and tried to start her up and she did! I now have her parked at home and I wanted to see if she would start up normally and she did! What do you think the problem is?
Old 05-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think it's gonna happen again though...

You have to figure this out or you might get stranded IF the problem was with the Neutral Safety Switch (and often cured by moving the selector to N) you wouldn't have heard any "click" as you describe. It would just, silently, not do anything.

I would carry a hammer and locate the starter and where to whack it. I would become familiar with where everything is (starter, relay, and the associated connections). I would pay close attention, when it happens, to where that Click you hear is actually coming from (it's a good clue )

There was a major electrical revision during the '01 run. One of the changes was the elimination of the Large starter solenoid on the pass fenderwell. If your '01 has a digital speedometer and a Trans Temp Gauge in the cluster you will NOT have this relay. If you don't have those upgrades look for that solenoid, it may well be your problem. There is another solenoid on the starter itself (Bendix) in Both versions. This too might be clicking and the source of your problem. Half the time the hammer blows to the Starter body will "unstick" the Bendix.

As I said, this is likely to happen again and often at the Worst time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.