Fuel milage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Fuel milage

Im wondering what the best speed and acceleration rate to get maximum fuel economy in my 7.3. Diesel just hit 3.90/gal here in tiffin, ohio, serious BULLSH!T if you ask me. but anyway, ive heard of guys gettin 20 or so MPG with these trucks, and the guy i bought it off of said that he could get 21 if he drove it right, so what is the "right" way to drive this thing to get that kind of mileage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
anyone out there, maybe someone in cali where its not real late? I don't wanna sound impatient, id just like to know soon cause im drivin to columbus tomorrow afternoon, about 100 mile drive.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
under 2000rpms, accelerate as slowly as possible, try not to boost
Old 02-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Mine is not stock, so that can change a lot, but I have been testing mine....I drive about 25-30 miles of my 40 miles commute on roads that have a speed limit of 55-65. Everyone (myself included) Usually runs at LEAST 75, and I never worry about being too hard on the stupid pedal. SO, with fuel prices being what they are I forced myself to drive no faster than 55 and to accellerate like normal traffic (slower than I could normally stand) I haven't officially finished this tank, but by looking at the gauge it looks like I might have gained 1mpg at best, this means nothing because every once in awhile I get a little better mileage for some reason. (Maybe I top off the tank a little more or something) Good luck on your quest, but I can't seem to significantly change my mileage no matter how I drive it. I have heard that 1800rpm is the "sweet spot" for cruising speed. If it's true, that explains my problems. With my tires I have to be doing 75 or so to get that, at 55 I am under 1500rpm.
-Aaron
Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 PM

keep it under 65 helps. my best mpg was 20.7
Old 02-28-2008, 09:55 PM

i have bigger tires but i also have a scan gauge driving computer. i did a 100mile each way trip and going i was running 75-90 and got 13. coming back i was cruising 55-65 and got 16.2. i can watch my real time gas milege and above 2,000 rpm it would drop from around 20-25mpg to 15-20mpg. try to keep the rpm between 1500-1800.
and i ahve one question in this topic...if i adjust my big head waste gate to open at higher boost (only about 18-21 now) would it help my millege?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 PM

I drive the boost gage like in a gasser using a vacuum gage. Seeing in Arizona we have some long and high “hills” let the speed drop a little (never slower than 55 MPH) to keep the boost at lowest possible. Trading a little speed for mileage is not a bad one, at 60 MPH that is one mile per minute, to drive at 70 is only 10 miles further down the road per hour (with out stopping or slowing down) and only will add less than one and a half hour to the drive time on an 700 mile trip at 60.

Another trick like folding in the outside side mirrors, that cuts some frontal area and its wind drag at speed. Put the window down and stick you hand out on top of the mirror in the air (not past it’s farthest out from the door, just above it) and the mirror is about twice the size of a hand and there is two of them. Also try this at 60, 65, 70, 75 and feel the difference of how your hand is pushed back, this force at speed think of the total frontal area of the truck. One more thing to think about is the force required to move the truck, empty is 7,000 pounds or more, to bring it up to speed and when using the brakes to slow down that fuel used and changed in to heat by the rotors and pads.

Have almost 10,000 miles, almost broken in motor and got 22.35 MPG last highway trip last weekend. Kept the speed in 60 to 65 MPH, using the motor run time clock and the trip meter miles (figures in stop, idle and driving time verses miles driven) averaged 57 MPH, made 3 “pit stops”, plus the on and off road idle time (waiting for traffic and stop lights to change). One might even use this and log the what I call true average MPH when driving like a “mad man” and like a “old man” to see just what the difference works out to be, in the past on trips of over 1,000 miles the average is not that much slower (for me high 50’s to upper mid 60’s was the difference, about 5 to 6 MPH) but the fuel mileage was very much improved for myself.

A stone stock 2007

Last edited by DieselFord; 02-28-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: add stock note
Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 PM

Yes to get the best measurement of MPG one need to fill the tank to the same level each time, I fill to the top of the opening (at the screw in cap) every time so there is not the 1 or two gallons (or more) difference on fills to miles driven, it does take time to do but not all that much.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:43 PM

From the first of 2008, this is highway and city driving totals and avrages.

Gallons purchased 154.622
Total spent $487.59
Avrage price per gallon $3.193
Avrage MPG 18.89

One can set up a fuel log at GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada for persons it can make keeping your spending for IRS reporting.

Plus a good place to find best price for fuel and if more (if not all) would post will make it a better place to find the best deal on fuel.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 PM

I use gas buddy also, diesel can vary in my area by as much as 30 cents a gallon, sometimes more.

I do about 75-80% highway, and usually set the cruise at 55 when driving. Over the course of a full tank (used in less than a week) I usually see 18.5 on the lie-o-meter. This includes cold weather warm ups, and a couple minutes to cool down after I get to where I'm going.

I have reset the lie-o-meter and went on a 80 mile trip, and it said 21.8. When I'm doing 55, my rpms are usually around 1600-1700.

Stock accept for mods in my sig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.