Weird Noise Sounds like something in the transmission - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird Noise Sounds like something in the transmission

About a month ago I started to get this weird noise. Like a slipping, grinding noise. I first noticed it when I was at a stop and turning right. Push on the fuel peddle and turn right and once I was out of the turn it would stop. Well now, it will do it once in a while from any stop. I have about 216 k on my 1999 F250 PS 4X4 crewcab. I bought it used. I'm faithful about changing the oil, but have yet to change the tranny fluid. I have crawled underneath and check the all the u-joints and anything that I could see just with my eyes. Guess my question is would it be my tranny and what would it be if it was my tranny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does it make the noise while you're just sitting there idling? If so I would think broken flexplate.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also have a noise mine is like a rattle like a heat shield or a bad bearing I think mind is the tq converter .... I've researched the broken flex plates and I took off my inspection plate and you could see the flex plate wobbling while running. You can hear it while its idling once you hit about 1800 is goes away but comes back right after but it's quieter or harder to hear cuz the engine noise... Maybe we have the same problem just sharing my experience!! I got a cleaned used flex plate but I'm doing a tq con to why I'm in there lol
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

No it does not do it at a idle. I notice it the most when I'm making a right hand turn from a stop. Even if I let off the throttle in the turn then push on it again it will still do it until I'm rolling.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hmmm doesn't sound like turning right has anything to do with it... Maybe the diff? The clutches could be going bad and it does work off torque when throttle applies they will start to grip I think that's how it works I just don't k ow how turning right has anything to do with the tranny
Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

That might make sense. Maybe its not a turning right thing, but the torque that it takes to get going and with it having to work a little harder when turning. I don't know. Its starting to worry me. I want to fix it before it gets worse.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Wheel Bearings Good?

You might jack it up and check the wheel bearings for any slop or play.

Also, does it make any difference if the hubs are locked or not?

For what its worth, my truck had no issues going straight when my unit bearings started to go out, but made a dull "growling" sound when turning (left or right) - new bearings (and ball joints in my case) solved that problem.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanEngineer View Post
You might jack it up and check the wheel bearings for any slop or play.

Also, does it make any difference if the hubs are locked or not?

For what its worth, my truck had no issues going straight when my unit bearings started to go out, but made a dull "growling" sound when turning (left or right) - new bearings (and ball joints in my case) solved that problem.
Good idea...... That is what mine is a dull growling, grinding noise. That might make sense. When I turn right it would be pulling that right rear wheel out so would make that sound. Thanks AlaskenEngineer.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

So I think I have narrowed it down. I'm going to replace both rear bearings and seals. Would anyone suggest anything else that I should do while I'm in there?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

lube the slip joint on the rear driveshaft. they are known to cause slippage in the drivetrain. its easy takes like 15-20 mins while your down there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.