Used 7.3 Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Used 7.3 Install

Alright fellas, not sure if any of you remember me from a while back, but the old (not nearly old enough) 7.3 has finally taken a crap. So it's safe to say I'm done with that motor and will be putting a used motor in.

I have found a used 7.3 at a junk yard about 30 miles from me. It's $3150+$200 core. I went to check it out today and it seems fairly solid. It's in a 2002 F250 that had 60k on the clock before it was rolled back in January. I ran a carfax on the VIN and it's a 2 owner vehicle. The most recent owner only put about 4500 miles/year for the past 7 years. It was serviced once back at 11k, but there's no record of it being in a shop after that. There is some oil filming going on up top, but that's to be suspected due to the stock intake boots. I didn't see any oil pooling up in the valley and it seems pretty dry. The oil pan is COMPLETELY dry and no sign that there was ever any oil on it. What bothers me just a tad though is that there is some oil on the bottom of the transmission and a little cake up under the HPOP. The junk yard says once it's paid for they will make sure it starts up and put it through a multi point inspection (necessary to offer the warranty which is $375 for 3 years/30k and covers parts and $65/hr labor). I also told them I would like to see it run and would like to inspect it BEFORE they clean it.

So I guess my question for you guys is what should I look/listen for specifically when checking this thing out? Also, I've always been a believer in the "while-im-at-it" mentality, so what would you guys recommend I do while the shop has the front clip off and the engine bay empty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 AM

Here are some quick photos I snapped.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just a thought, but I bought a long block from blackwater engines with arp head studs, 910 comp valve springs, forged rods, and stellite valves for $4100, your block just had to be useable.....ie, no cracks or holes. I'm putting about 550+ hp to it now.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I mean your block had to be a useable core.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just my opinion but that motor looks really dirty for 60,000 mi. I have 196,000 miles on mine and it's not nearly that dirty; and I am not one to clean the engine compartment. Personally that would scare me away but I am pretty picky.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:42 PM

I second the dirtiness. From the looks of that front axle it looks like the truck has been mudded a few times.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
what part of the block "took a crap"?? The reason I ask is because I just had a block machined and matching pistons for about $750 (may be less, depending on what you throw at it..) most engine shops will freshen up heads for about $250-300.. I just think you could have a fresh rebuilt block for MUCH less than the junkyard motor you know nothing about.. Just reuse your accessories.. IIRC, if worse case scenarios, the blocks can be sleeved too..

my .02 cents..
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

I am the farthest away from being a mechanic, but i would have to say the same. That engine is dirty. It may be sitting around and dust collecting on old wet spots but, $3k+? when my day comes, i would prefer to rebuild and know what i have rather than depend on joe and chuck and the local Junk for an engine.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Yeah, the dirt/grime does kinda scare me. I'm hoping the mud came from when it flipped over. The previous owner (2nd) only put about 4500 miles/year on it and it has a total of 71k on the clock. All the other ones I found had 150k-200k and didn't offer the 3 year warranty.

I literally have ZERO faith in the motor that is in the dump truck right now. I'm 100% sure it was never maintained. I have a feeling there is a bent rod and possibly a hole in the block somewhere. It's really tight when turning with a breaker bar even with the glow plugs out and there was rust underneath the valve covers.

I went to the junk yard today and got them to start it up. It took a second to start, sounded good for a little, but then it got a little wonky after he revved it a bit (end of the video).

Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM

That motor has issues, I wouldn't touch it for that price. I would have to seriously think about before paying $1,000 even.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.