EBPV exhaust brake question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
EBPV exhaust brake question

Hey all. I was thinking about gutting my EBPV when I pull my turbo to install my wicked wheel. But I just had a semi pass the house with the jake on and I was thinking "I need one of those". I know its not the same, but what does it sound like when the EBPV is used as an exhaust brake? Got any videos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
same as a cold start-up
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not supposed to be a good idea...

"Do you offer a "decel" or "exhaust brake" calibration?
Simply put, no, we don't because it goes against our business philosophy which, in part, is to provide safe, reliable products to our customers.

For those who don't know, this is a calibration that uses the EBV (Exhaust Backpressure Valve) as a makeshift exhaust brake. While this setup may work reasonably well for lightly loaded vehicles, we generally do not recommend this type of calibration... at least not for automatic transmission vehicles. There are a few reasons we don't recommend this.

First, in order to transfer the energy of the moving vehicle to the engine during deceleration, two things must occur: the torque converter must remain locked, and the coast clutch must be engaged. The problem with this is that the coast clutch on a stock transmission only has 3 friction plates, and these are smaller than the standard forward clutches. On 2001 and later transmissions, you also run the possibility of damaging the intermediate sprag or "diode," which will result in an immediate transmission teardown. Again, lightly loaded vehicles would have less of a problem with this, but the general idea of an exhaust brake is to be able to slow larger loads without overheating the standard brake system. It is these types of loads that can cause transmission damage. Obviously, a manual transmission would be free from these types of situations.

Second, whenever you increase exhaust backpressure, you need to make sure that the exhaust valve springs are capable of preventing the pressure in the exhaust system from lifting the exhaust valve from the valve seat, as this would result in a collision with the piston. Normal valve spring seat pressure is 70-75 PSI for NEW valve springs and deteriorates from there. Given that the surface area of the back of the exhaust valve is approximately 1.9 square inches, it would take only 40 PSI of exhaust pressure to lift the valve off the seat, even with new valve springs.

To put it simply, if you plan to use an exhaust brake, either through the use of the EBV or by purchasing an aftermarket stand alone unit, you will need to consider the condition of your transmission and exhaust valve springs in order to ensure safe, reliable operation
"

Power Hungry Performance - Frequently Asked Questions
Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I just bought a EBPV delete pedestal and installing my wicked wheel that im ordering tomorrow! Delete the pedistal and be done! exhaust brake will NEVER sound like a true "jake"
Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Gotcha. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.