Newbie with a lot of questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie with a lot of questions

Before I get into all the questions, I want to say nice site! I have been poking around for a few hours now and learned quite a bit.

I am brand new to diesels (just bought the truck pictured below this friday) but not new to turbos and such as I made the turbo kit for my (yes I know, I come from the dark side) camaro and tuned it myself as well...but my new Ford truck doesn't have spark plugs so i am lost
Specs are: 2002 F250, auto, 7.3L, 60K miles with 33's, leveling kit, a K&N cone filter, and 4" exhaust.
When I bought the truck, the dealer threw in a Superchips programmer and said to use the Towing Hi-perf so that's what I put in it.
First off I notced the throttle is very sensitive, so much that any movement I feel in the truck, affects my foot and so the truck's throttle is affected...I guess this is normal?
It feels rather weird having a boosted vehicle without any boost/afr gauges so I was going to kill two birds with one stone by getting a Snow III kit so I will have boost and egt. Good idea? I run their kit on my SS but with straight meth so I know all the buzz about meth/water injections.
I use the truck primarily for commuting with maybe a little driving to the dump or light trailor...possibly tow my SS once i get a car trailer, but i don't mind changing the programming for the few times I am actually towing something heavy.
So for normal non-trailer usage, will I be under the magic 400rwhp pmr set marker with the superchips set on hi-perf, 50/50 meth/h20 and the intake/exhaust that i have?
I plan on using the washer tank as a resevoir and mounting the pump below it...you guys still recommend a solenoid to keep the fluid from leaking into the engine? Anyone know the capacity of the washer fluid tank? For some reason I couldn't find it anywhere and I didn't get the manual with my truck.
In the tow-perf mode, am I safe to do the wastegate act delete mod assuming boost stops around 24psi os should I have the meth/h20 injection on there fist? I don't really know what these programmers do to diesels other than raise boost, increase injector timing and fuel right?

Lastly (I promise my truck rides really rough, is that typical of solid axle trucks or should I look to replace my shocks? They look to be original pieces.

Sorry for the novel, thanks for any input.
-Jarrod
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie with a lot of questions-2002-f250.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

no offense dude but you lost me on the novel. but i do however like your truck. welcome to the org.

later,

Marine
Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

I have been on here a few months and have learned that most of us are A.D.D.!

I suggest you break it down into smaller pieces in the appropriate forum areas and I bet you will get all of your questions answered.

You can edit your original post to delete all but a few of the related questions and then start other threads for the other stuff.

Just my $.02.

Welcome aboard.....you'll love it here....I promise!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

WELCOME TO THE ORG JARROD!!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

DO NOT RUN MORE THEN 40% meth on your truck... Diesels are differant then the gas rigs you are used to.

Get some normal gauges... I recomend Isspros from DieselManor - Taking the Mystery out of Diesel Performance™, and a overboost eleminator from ITP Diesel, L.L.C..

Keep your wastegate working, anything over 25-27#'s boost and the turbo will not be happy.

Look HERE for water injection...

Without injectors, and turbo upgrades you will never get near 400hp. But be careful with the water injection, the 400hp mark is more of a Cylinder pressure deal then a HP deal and lots of meth equals blown block...
Old 02-26-2008, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hehe...sorry guys, I had been up for 20ish hours and so my mind was all over the place. Thanks for all the welcomes and the help...and Marinepowerstroke, thanks for serving! My younger brother just got back from his second tour in the sandpit, thank God!

Quote:
DO NOT RUN MORE THEN 40% meth on your truck... Diesels are differant then the gas rigs you are used to.
Ok...I will stick with the -20 blue stuff...I think that is consistenty around 36% meth...and cheap! Any recommendations on nozzle sizes for me at this % and power level? From what I read, looks like a 625ml/min and 225ml/min...that should give me a little power boost, lower my EGT's but not be enough nozzle to get me into trouble.

Quote:
Get some normal gauges... I recomend Isspros from DieselManor - Taking the Mystery out of Diesel Performance™, and a overboost eleminator from ITP Diesel, L.L.C..
I like it....thanks. Also, after much reading on here, I think I'm going with a DP tuner once I get the gauges in.

I'll spend some time tonight breaking things down into different forums, so I appreciate those that pushed through that horrible mess of words up above.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:58 AM

Welcome to the .org!!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks...the more I search, the more I'm glad I'm here

I just talked to Jody at DP Tuners....very knowledgeable and was a ton of help! I'm going to be putting in my order tomorrow once my paycheck clears. I have decided not to run the meth/water so does anyone have an suggestions for the tunes I should ask for? I was thinking a tow-performance <6,000lbs (3850lb camaro + 1500-2000lb trailer) and a hi performance setting around 120hp's worth....any input?

Thanks again guys,

-Jarrod
Old 02-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Rice Hunter

Welcome Aboard!
Your off to a good start. Get them gauges
Old 02-26-2008, 07:50 AM

Why no water meth??? Its great fun...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.