Manual hubs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual hubs

Can I leave my manual hubs locked? Or will it damage them? I am in Iowa and currently leave them locked due to the weather and the road conditions changing quickly. 99 psd / Thanks

Last edited by RustyBiker; 02-23-2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: I found the answer in the forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 05:22 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
it wont hurt anything as long as you are not driving around all the time with the 4 wheel drive engaged too
Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 AM
Premium Member

Yep, won't help the gas mileage, and will wear on the front end a bit faster (might even keep it lubed up better), but it won't hurt anything. I used to do it all the time when I lived up north.
-Aaron
Old 02-24-2008, 02:00 PM

From what I understand it will wear out your front gears since they are being driven by the front wheels, causing them to put wear on the back side of the gears. Instead of by the transfer case on the front face of the gears.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
If the wear thing is true, how come the Dodge/GM trucks don't have this issue?
Old 02-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Why would the "back side" of a ring gears teeth be any more prone to wear than the front side?

Especially in a no-load condition...

Doesn't make sense to me.

Turning the front diff will cause extra drag that will cost you a bit fuel and the U-joints probably wear slightly more as wells as the bearings/spiders/R&P but... how much worse is it to Never spin & lube those same parts?

It just CAN'T make a significant difference, think of all those trucks with no way to free wheel the front end at all !
Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

It might wear a LITTLE more, but nothing significant. That being said....It's POSSIBLE that they are heat treated or made from a different alloy if they are designed to constantly turn sacrificing strength for less wear. I don't know, but I doubt it, just a possibility. I DO know that racing gears are a softer metal so they flex instead of break but they wear faster and just the opposite for street gears, but that's another topic.

Lower gas mileage (to some extent), slightly more wear and more lubrication will happen when you drive with the hubs in, but I surely wouldn't worry about it, expecially if it is only in the winter. In fact, I was just reading the other day that you should lock in your hubs and drive a bit at least once a month to make sure that everything gets a good bath in gear oil, (unless you use the 4wd) since during normal driving they only get what splashes around from bumps, accelleration, etc.
-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.