Turbo Rebuild Kit w/360 thrust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Rebuild Kit w/360 thrust

My turbo is leaking at the journal bearing so I need to rebuild it. Has anyone used or heard of this kit. They are claiming the thrust bearing is improved due to 360 of coverage and that the journal bearing holes are countersunk to improve oiling. Is this all smoke and mirrors or does it really help the stock turbo?

Powerstroke Turbo Rebuild Kit Upgrade 360 Thrust TP GTP 38 Ford 7 3L Diesel | eBay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 AM

Courtesy bump for this thread. I'm curious about this myself and have been searching for feedback.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:00 AM

Installed this kit in May and have since put 12,000mi on it with RiffRaff's billet wheel. Zero problems and very smooth spool. It is definitely better designed parts than the stock components.
The Following User Says Thank You to blderman For This Useful Post:
Caloosahatchee (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 AM

Thank you for the reply. I'm definitely interested in using this upgraded kit in a rebuild. My Ex is getting close to 200k trouble free miles and I want to replace the up pipes with bellowed ones. Figured while I was there, and had the turbo yanked, I would do the rebuild kit, 1.0 a/r wastegated housing, and a Wicked Wheel 2. While this still wouldn't be as nice as a GTP38R, I think it will be a lot better flowing than a standard turbo and cost me a lot less than going with an entire, new, aftermarket turbo. Thats the hope anyway!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:48 PM

I have been very happy with the performance of my turbo both in daily driving and towing. However, if you have an open air filter these new wheels are loud, annoyingly loud. I am still saving cash to get an AIS.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM

I have the s&b intake kit and the wheel is pretty loud still.
wheel is still pretty annoying driving up hills.

I have an enclosed box with the lid on as well.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:44 PM

Excellent feedback, thanks guys. Idk why my sig isn't showing... maybe because I'm at work and posting from my phone? Anyways, I have an AFE Stage 2 and MBRP 4" turbo back. I have read that these wheels are pretty loud. However, I have also read that the 38r is also annoyingly loud. I'm sure having the cavern that is the X body won't help with turbo OR exhaust noise, but it is the nature of the beast. I'm mainly interested in optimizing my turbo situation as cheaply as possible to freshen up the remaining intake and exhaust components before finally finding an excuse to splurge on some hybrids. Based on the research I have done, I'm really hoping that the 1.0 a/r turbine housing, coupled with the WW2 (regardless of noise), and rebuilt turbo will provide me with a combination good for laying a foundation to ~400+ HP... once I can install some mild hybrids.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hmmm, interesting. I'm getting ready to do a rebuild myself and this looks like another good option. Anyone else have an opinion on this? Thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

send it to James @ Barder turbo. he uses 360* thrust bearings an does good work.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the reply Sootie. I'm sure James does good work, but once you factor in prices to have someone else do it, might as well just buy an aftermarket turbo. Should be able to buy the needed parts and rebuild it myself for less than $600. Plus, Garrett balances the assemblies separately at the factory, so I should not need to balance the entire assembly once the WW2 is installed. Guess I'll be my own guinea pig and see how it works out. Very very curious how my previously mentioned setup will respond with tuning and stock injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.