Factory high idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Factory high idle

Anyone played around with getting the factory high idle in a 6spd truck to work without having to apply the emergency brake? I like the high idle for letting the truck warm up when it's cold, but I really don't like using the emergency brake in the winter since the last thing I need on my way to school or work is a frozen on e-brake.
Obviously a chip with high idle would be ideal, but has anyone just modified the factory stuff?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM

You could install a toggle switch to make the truck think it had the E-brake on.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona_SVO View Post
You could install a toggle switch to make the truck think it had the E-brake on.
I believe this is the only way without getting a TS style chip.

You could even press the E-brake pedal down about an inch or 2 (it shoudl stay down), the brake light will come on without actually engaging the brake all the way. Might try that if you dont want a switch.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How would you wire up a switch? Make it so that the switch sends power to the high idle fuse when you turn the switch on?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyofordpower View Post
How would you wire up a switch? Make it so that the switch sends power to the high idle fuse when you turn the switch on?

Basically a jumper wire in the little switch that gets pressed in when you release your brake.

Look under your dash where the little black rubber deely on your e-brake pedal pushes in a small black post. When your ebrake is released the rubber deely pushes the black post up disconnecting the circuit. Tap a wire into each wire going to the black post and put a switch between the 2 wires. Flipping on the switch will make the truck think you have pressed your break pedal in there-fore allowing it to go into high idle mode after 90 secconds.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarportMechanic View Post
Basically a jumper wire in the little switch that gets pressed in when you release your brake.

Look under your dash where the little black rubber deely on your e-brake pedal pushes in a small black post. When your ebrake is released the rubber deely pushes the black post up disconnecting the circuit. Tap a wire into each wire going to the black post and put a switch between the 2 wires. Flipping on the switch will make the truck think you have pressed your break pedal in there-fore allowing it to go into high idle mode after 90 secconds.
I may have to try this for next winter. I'll play with it when I'm done with school in a few days.

Any adverse effects to leaving the switch on while driving around? So that the truck is warming up while sitting at lights an such?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
I may have to try this for next winter. I'll play with it when I'm done with school in a few days.

Any adverse effects to leaving the switch on while driving around? So that the truck is warming up while sitting at lights an such?

Just realized that even with switch on the truck comes off high idle as soon as you touch the throttle.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Just realized that even with switch on the truck comes off high idle as soon as you touch the throttle.

Yes it does, but if you sit at a light or go to a coffee stand it will kick back into high idle mode after 90 seconds of no throttle I believe, dont quote me on that as im not 100% sure. But it sounds good! haha

So that would be an upside to the chips, would be in high idle mode whenever you stop but i have read its not good to drive with high idle mode on.......but this is something i just read, no real experience with this.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Your brake light on the dash would be on - but that's the only 'downside' I can think of off the top of my head. Sitting at lights would not get you anything because unless it was a long light, it would never kick into high-idle. Just use your foot to keep RPM's up.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona_SVO View Post
Your brake light on the dash would be on - but that's the only 'downside' I can think of off the top of my head. Sitting at lights would not get you anything because unless it was a long light, it would never kick into high-idle. Just use your foot to keep RPM's up.
A couple lights on my way to work are red for 5 minutes if you hit them at the rigth time, no joke. That is the only reason i said that. But also why i said 90 secconds, that how long it takes for the high idle to kick in once it realizes the E-brake is on. So if you aint at a light for more than 90 seconds it wont come on.

But another down side would be the annoying *** chime your truck makes when you leave your e-brake on and start to drive around. That would kill it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.