U-Joints andCarrier Bearing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
U-Joints andCarrier Bearing

I'm having bad vibration around 40mph and thought it was my shocks but I think my carrier bearing is shot. There is play in it and want to replace carrier bearing and will do the u-joints while I'm at it. Now my question is how can I know which carrier bearing is right one for me? I looked around and most part store will have 2 different carrier bearing with different size. I know my truck is 172 wheelbase but I'm not sure which one is right one. Also what brand would you guys recommend? Will any of you buy O'Reilly's brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Gunner

I got mine form rock auto. Went and dug a little. This is what I used to cross reference to find the correct part number. I used the Timken if I recall correctly, can't go wrong with those.

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/dek350.aspx

Last edited by GunnerB; 04-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 PM

Thanks! Would like to change them this weekend and I usually order parts on Rock Auto but don't think will get here by this weekend. Would you or anybody use O'Reillys? They have other brand name that they carry it called National. Any good? I was going to do it myself but in town where I live they do driveshaft and 4x4 trucks. I called them and ask for estimate. They gave me estimate for 3 U-Joints and carrier bearing and labor. All total will be $151. I don't think it that bad?

To correct about my previous post. My truck is 158 WB not 172. Also I know which carrier bearing I need. Will need the one that has 1.574 inch diameter for the driveshaft.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Gunner

Sorry, I totally misread your OP. I would go with a timken or national brand if I could, but in a pinch I would use just about anything from anywhere.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 PM

I got my carrier bearing from oriellys when mine went out a month or two ago. I think I used the bigger one but I bought both then just matched the salvageable ring size of the previous carrier bearing. My carrier bearing completely blew out so when I pulled e old one off I took the inner metal ring (I think) and placed it on top of the two new ones and it matched to only one. Lastly I just returned the non used one after the project
Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
National bearings are not near as good as Timkin, SKF, or NSK. At least not any more. National used to be good but I believe they got bought out and quality is garbage. Although their seals are very good.

For a carrier bearing I would use Spicer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 PM

I just replaced carrier bearing with National brand and it seem good quality to me. Paid $30 for it and got Precision u-joints. $13 a piece. So I got carrier bearing and 3 u-joints all total was $93 include 33mm socket. I think it wasn't that bad. Took me about several hours to do it and everything went smoothly. Test drove it and no more vibration. I was a little bit concern about the nut on the driveshaft that is 33mm socket. Said it need to be 300 ft lbs torque but I tighten it up with air impact that it rated 300 ft lbs torque. I also put just a little bit of loctite on it. So hopefully it won't come off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.