Looking for a 7.3..a few ?'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Looking for a 7.3..a few ?'s

Alright guys. I think I have my car sold maybe this week for about 14k. It is paid off so that is all cash in my pocket. However, since my truck is still in the shop 10 months later and I have no idea when I am getting it back, I need another diesel to be able to pull my boat, so I don't have yet another summer ruined.

I found a pretty clean 2002 F350 Lariat CCSB 4x4 with the good ol 7.3. It does have higher mileage, 200k miles, but it is one of the cleaner trucks I have found locally. It already has a 6" lift and some alright looking wheels/tires. It also has a shell on it that is color matched (that will most likely come off). He wants 16k. I can probably get it for 14k-14.5k I am guessing. It is crazy because these things don't even book for that price and people act like they are GOLD. The only thing I know that he did was put new ball joints in it.

My concerns are that I don't want to buy another truck and deal with the same headaches I have now with my 6.0. I will probably sell it when I get my truck back.

Is there anything I ought to know or be concerned with on these things? Should I be concerned with buying one with that high of mileage? What is a reasonable price for a 2002-2003 CCSB 4x4 with Auto tranny?

If I can find one that is clean in a black or charcoal color, I will fly out and drive her home within a reasonable distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think he is asking a bit too much.

For comparison i purchased my rig about a year ago from a dealer. I did get lucky and find it a Toyota dealer so they did not know what they had.

I have a 2000 F250 4x4 XCLB XLT 6 speed, had 140K on it. Exterior was a 10/10, 2 small scrapes on tailgate and that was it. Interior looked brand new, not a single stain, tear, rip, crack NOTHING! Truck came with a super****s tuner, trailer breaks controller, paint matched canopy, 12K LB winch in stock bumper, airbags, ATS turbo housing, Banks big head wastegate (wich is probably worthless) upgraded turbo wheel, 4" exhause, AIS intake and gauges. Also had receipts from day 1 for factory oil changes every 3K miles (overkill for these rigs, some will dissagree, i go for 5K). Had new ball joints, breaks all around, pinion seals and a few other small things done within 300 miles of origional owner trading it in. Had brand new tires on it also.

Dealer was asking $14K, i did not negotiate at all maily casue they gave me $6K for a 2003 chevy impalla! I got a great deal on my rig i believe especially having the service record it had.

I also look on CL for 6 months straight before I found the rig I wanted. Nut in the end i absolutely love my truck. It was my daily driver and tow rig for a bit but now its strictly for twing and with only 15K miles on her now i believe she will last forever as long as I lover her till the end!

Remember whatever you do, Maintenance is key on all vehicles but even more so on these 7.3's. Yes people drive them into the ground and get hundreds of thousands of miles out of them but if taken care of will last even longer. Have a few buddies pushin over 400K and the biggest expense was replacing a clutch.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Yeah everyone I find around here seems to be going for at least 14k. Some want as much as 22k which is ridiculous.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Gunner

I would def give it the mechanic once over. If you don't feel comfortable doing that I would take it somewhere for a PPI.

I think the price is a little high as well, if it was a 10/10 all around with maintenance records I MIGHT spend that much pending the PPI.

Who's book are you using? I ask because my '03 books out at 18k clean retail. (I could sell it for that tomorrow)
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Just going off of KBB.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM

Damn, look on Billings/Montana craigslist. I ALWAYS find good looking trucks for 10-12K.

I paid 10 for my '01 4 yrs ago with 224K on it - but I was in desperate need at the time, and it was a 6 spd.

I'm still less than 5K into my '00, lol - I stole it, lmao.

And use NADA Values, they seem to be more realistic, IMO - its what all the dealers use.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM

Here in TX, 02-03 7.3 are ridiculously over priced to the point that I have about given up and going back to a 6.0.

IF you find a 7.3 with less than 150K on it, good luck buying under 20 grand if CCSB 4x4 lariat!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Where are you located in Nor Cal? If you are just looking for a tow pig you can find cheaper 7.3L's than that with lower mileage(although 200K isn't a lot if it was taken care of). They may not be a Lariat though.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlaw View Post
Here in TX, 02-03 7.3 are ridiculously over priced to the point that I have about given up and going back to a 6.0.

IF you find a 7.3 with less than 150K on it, good luck buying under 20 grand if CCSB 4x4 lariat!!!
They are pretty crazy out west too.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy209 View Post
Yeah everyone I find around here seems to be going for at least 14k. Some want as much as 22k which is ridiculous.
Ford dealer in Issaquah, WA gave my dad $21K for his 2002 CCLB Lariate in immaculate condition, only had 76K miles on it also. Tranny had been replaced bout a year prior to that due to running an Edge programer.

It was for sale for $25K the next day and sold within a couple days of that. Beauty of the internet is you can see how bad dealerships really screw you on your trade in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.