Repairs/ mods to consider on 212k 2001? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Repairs/ mods to consider on 212k 2001?

I recently bought a 2001 F350 with the 7.3 and 6 speed. Current mileage is 212000 miles. The previous owner owned it for 10 years, and gave me every receipt he had for it, down to oil changes and tire rotations. It is in very good shape, but I'm sure there are some things I should be checking on or improving to make sure that it continues that way. My primary interest is in long term reliably, and better fuel mileage would be nice. I wouldn't say no to better power if it's a biproduct of one of the other mods, but I'm plenty happy with the power I have now.
I've heard people recommend checking the fuel pressure regulator and the HPOP, how important is that? anything else I should look into?

As far as mods, I was considering getting the AIS air intake, and some way of monitoring boost and EGT. I've heard that a free flowing exhaust can help as well, any truth in that? I've also heard that a better lift pump will protect the injection pump and injectors, is that worth looking into?

Anything else I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
reg return, or FRx.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 AM

For an intake Mod, go the 6637 route. Its the best bang for the buck and the filters can be purchased virtually anywhere.

Exhaust is ALWAYS a good idea on a diesel. Make sure the downpipe is large too. I've got 4" MBRP w/muffler on my '01 and love it. With the 6 spd, it was like driving a new truck - the exhaust didn't choke the engine and the engine braking effect was virtually gone. I'll be buying one for my '00 in the near future (after I do balljoints and put new tires on it - maintenance first!).

I increased MPG's about 3 MPG doing the intake and exhaust alone.

Check for oil in the valley of the engine. If there is, chances are the o-rings on the HPOP are leaking. Easy fix. www.guzzle7pt3.com or DieselOrings

There are tons of great sources for information out there, this website being a HUGE help for me all the time, especially since I own two of these behemoths.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 AM

The lift pump/injection pump issue is a Dodge thing,98.5-02. From what I've heard the fuel pump on these is pretty good and fairy inexpensive to have one in a 911 box jic.

Be prepared to do more than you want.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM

Check the front end components too - Ball joints, tie rods, axle seals, hubs, etc. Its all DIY-able if you've got some tools and knowledge. I recently rebuilt the front end on my '01 and am going to here in the near future on my '00.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

depending whether or not you are in cold country - replace out the glow plugs, harness and while you are in there the injector o rings.

makes a big difference for cold starts/less wear and tear on the battery/starter
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 PM

I swapped in the 6637 filter (or more specifically, the Wix version of the same). I didn't have to modify anything other than to remove the factory airbox. I clamped an exhaust clamp on the 4" pipe between the filter and air intake hose, and used it as a mounting point for an aluminum bracket I made to bolt into one of the holes meant to attach the factory airbox.

The glow plugs seem to work just fine, so no worries there.

I'm very curious to know more about the reg return/FRx

As far as exhaust, would there be a big difference between an aftermarket 4" straight pipe exhaust and straight-piping the factory 3.5" exhaust?

The front end is good, I checked that before I bought it. The steering box has the smallest bit of play in it, just enough to annoy me. I've heard that it's possible to adjust the steering box for wear, but you really have to know what you are doing in order to not make it worse. Has anyone taken this on, or had someone fix this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.