New member, starter trouble - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New member, starter trouble

My name is Brian, I typed out my message and some how lost it before posting. I have a 2000 f350 4 door with a 7.3. It has a hyperchip programmer, upgraded air intake and a 6 in exhaust pipe from the turbo out behind the duals. I have 3 batteries in the truck and all 3 were bought from a diesel performance center before they closed. All 3 are the exact same type with identical amps. I went out today to start the truck and it only clicked. Not the normal dead battery sound. I had my wife go to the front and watch my headlight as I tried to start, they did not dim at all.I tapped the starter on its body with a plastic mallet hoping it would dislodge carbon if it had coated everything in it. Still only ckicks. After disconnecting all 3 hot side, i crawlwd under the truck and removed the starter. I tried a bench test but all it did was pop out the (bendex). Would not turn over the starter. I had this starter rebuilt in 2006 because of the same thing happening. Question I have is should I purchase a hight torque after market started or just have mine rebuilt again? Truck has 150,348 miles on and used primarily to drive to work and back, and occasionally pull a 36 ft goose neck with tandem wheels and tandem axles with my ford 3000 on it. What is the normal life expectancy of a starter that is started say 6 times a day 6 days a week. Thank for the future imput I hope to receive,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Go to NAPA and buy a rebuilt starter and save the reciept. If you get hteir premium line they have a lifetime warantee with recipt. As long as the starter is not dripping with oil they will honor the warantee. I have had my Napa starter in my truck for 2 years now. I will not buy a starter, alternator, water pump, PS pump, or any other major compent from anywhere but Tousley Ford Parts or NAPA. Anyother place may have a warantte, but it doesn you no good whenyou have to take it back six times to get a good one.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thank you Jakeman for responding. I will go bye napa in the am.

I will go by rhe store tomorrow. I hsve my flst black that just came in and its fully bead blasted sbd leveled.now time to throw some color snd power powder coat my chone rims.just the way my swat tahoe lookIs like.not yet to figutr out ir I should get the y aftermarker I h8gh tourqe on orcap a rebuild? I yat s a y I yqll?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3 diesel, f350, not starting, starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.