E99 smokes like crazy but runs great?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E99 smokes like crazy but runs great?!

Okay guys I bought the truck about six months ago and it smoked like mad.. figured okay been here before needs injectors, not a big deal right. Did the tests and found one inj. to be bad. Helped nothing. While doin the inj. I found oil in the intercooler pipes so I figure my turbo is bad. Tore into the turbo and it seems fine, all the new parts were the same looking as the old ones. Mind you this truck has 180k on the clock and was a contractors truck so its been used but it was well maintained ( I know the guy personally... my grandpa) and after the injector all the normal tests come back with a clean bill of health. Not sure if being a early 99 makes a diff or anything to you guys but I'm lost as to what in the world is causing this.
Attached Thumbnails
E99 smokes like crazy but runs great?!-1366242385878.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 05:30 PM

the oil in the intercooler pipes is normal, its caused by the crank case vent "CCV" located on the drivers side valve cover. It vents the crank case vapor into the intake system so it can be burnt up in the exhaust. But it also causes oil to collect in the intercooler decreasing efficiency. Most people delete the ccv and dump it to the group. Look up "CCV mod". That looks like white smoke, are you loosing any coolant?

Last edited by patbraaap; 04-17-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What does the exhaust smell like?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 PM

I've put about 1500 on it since I got it... needed a tranny... but I haven't lost a drop of coolant. Its kinda blue-ish when its been run all day. But it doesnt use that much oil either or more than i think it should. About a third of a quart so far. The pic is after about ten min of idle time and that's when its at worse. This pic is two seconds after start up and about how bad it is at warm idle. O and I forgot that it has been doin this for some time now... for christ sake its known as the powersmoke around town!
Attached Thumbnails
E99 smokes like crazy but runs great?!-1366245920450.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It shouldn't use ANY oil
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

If I were a guessing man, I would say you need a bottom end freshening. Rebuild. A proper running vehicle of any type will not use oil. You put in 15q, you remove 15q. Now, a well used engine will not do this. Some, like mine, will need oil added on occasion. It will either burn it, or leak it. I leak it, you burn it. Since you are blowing the blue, I can only guess that valve guides are shot, or piston rings are shot. A well maintained vehicle can still have problems because, why not. I'm guessing bottom end because I've heard valve guides aren't a common issue.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 PM

I kinda knew it was oil but I was hoping it would be something small not a done lower end... I allow for a quart an oil change but ya this is a little much for me. Keeps the mosquitoes at bay tho
Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

As long as it's doing something for ya.

I tried blowing a 305 I had in a Blazer once. It was so wore out it was burning gear oil. Yes, I dumped 80 weight oil in the engine, only way I could go down the road. I put a brick on the throttle and walked away. The dang thing stopped smoking, and still wouldn't blow. Let it run WOT for about a half hour before I just gave up. It was just too wore out for redneck entertainment. It barely moved itself down the freeway, but it wouldn't blow. 350 was in the next day
Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Haha that's great. I had a ramcharger mud truck that had a shot 440 in it that I had to put a quart every two hours in during mud runs. But unlike your 305 (worse chevy small block ever thought of) it broke a rod at 5k rpm the first run of the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.